Boys Soccer Clinches the Division

The boys soccer team didn’t disappoint the students and staff this year when the players clinched the YAIAA Division II championship on Tuesday, October 7.

The team huddles together before the game against York Suburban. Photo By Laurie Kettinger
The team huddles together before the game against York Suburban.
Photo By Laurie Kettinger

The boys soccer team has made a postseason run for the past five years.  Last year, the team took second in the division before losing the semifinals of the county championship.

Senior Matt Ramey goes up to head the ball. Photo by Laurie Kettinger

Although the team still made a nice postseason run last year despite a loss in the first round of the state tournament, players still had a bitter taste in their mouths with their second place finish and county loss.

Junior left-back Brady Gallegos was very excited about the warrior win because the team has not grabbed this accomplishment in the past.

“It feels great [to win],” said Gallegos. “ The team ended a six year drought [without a division title] at the school. We also accomplished our first team goal, and we expect to accomplish our next two.”

The team is already on a better run than it was last year with the easy six to one win against Dover, which won the Division II title for the team.

Sophomore Colton Mumley takes on the York Suburban defender to reclaim the ball. Photo By Laurie Kettinger
Sophomore Colton Mumley takes on the York Suburban defender to reclaim the ball.
Photo By Laurie Kettinger

“I believe we are a better team than last year,” said Gallegos. “We play more team soccer instead of individual play.”

Senior center-back Clay Ayres believes the team has a bright future in the postseason.  Ayres has been a starter since his sophomore year and and also thinks this team has the most chemistry.

“I think we will make it pretty far [in the postseason],” said Ayres.  “If we have the desire, I know we can make another state run, and hopefully win the title.”

Physical education teacher and coach Brett Maxwell is confident in this years team.

“I think this our deepest group of players,” said Maxwell.   “We [have] 17 to 18 quality soccer players, so it’s hard for another team to keep up with us.  We have a goal for county championship which starts the 11; the districts which will qualify us for states, and then we will see how we go from there.”

Many believe the 2014-2015 boys soccer team has potential to be parallel with the 2009 State Championship team as one of the best squads put together to play for this school.