Shrewsbury Hosts New Restaurants

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

Currently, residents of Shrewsbury watch as a large wall is built and a new shopping center takes shape.

People's Bank will open in the pad site of Messina Highlands. Photo by Karly Matthews.
People’s Bank will open in the pad site of Messina Highlands. Photo by Karly Matthews.

The new center, called Messina Highlands, is owned by Joe Messina. Messina has two other shopping centers in Glen Rock and Stewartson as well, but the Shrewsbury plaza is his biggest project to date. The project is scheduled to open this fall.

At first, the construction was slow, but it is now officially known which businesses are making their debuts in Shrewsbury. Panera Bread, Chipotle, Five Guys, Glamour Nails, AT&T, and Mattress Warehouse are opening together in the main center. In addition, People’s Bank is opening in a pad site.

Still, there are four more spaces that are empty in the center, so there may be even more popular businesses coming to small town Shrewsbury. Rhino Realty Group is in charge of the lots and rentals.

Junior Elizabeth Vesper is awaiting the opening of some restaurants in Shrewsbury that she used to have to drive to York for.

Though the site is still under heavy construction, the shopping center hopes to open by the end of October. Photo by Karly Matthews.

“[I would still like to see] something like a Jamba Juice in Shrewsbury,” said Vesper. “We don’t really have any businesses that offer smoothies like that.”

Social Studies teacher Matt Amberman assigns a project to his AP Human Geography students every year that focuses on opening a new restaurant in Shrewsbury. With that in mind, he understands what it takes to be a successful business because he hears students analyze it every year.

“I think the center will be successful because there are a lot of teenagers who are attracted to these places,” said Amberman. “With the highway close by, it’s a great place for one-stop shopping.”

One can see the view that will be a part of Messina Highlands from the construction site. Photo by Karly Matthews.

Because of the popularity of many of businesses coming to Messina Highlands, many students are excited for opening day.

Junior Tara Weaver is mainly excited to have a Panera Bread and a Chipotle in Shrewsbury.

“I’m excited for Chipotle because we don’t really have a Mexican restaurant like it in Shrewsbury,” said Weaver. “It’s a totally different type of food.”

According to The York Dispatch, the shopping center will be officially open in late October.