Central student’s outburst creates controversy

Image obtained from Central York high school website. The school district suspended Farves for his outburst and asking Miss America to prom.

An unusual event occurred involving Miss America and a student  at Central York High school. Senior Patrick Farves, age 18, received 3.5 days of in school suspension for standing up during an assembly and asking Miss America, Nina Davuluri, to prom with a plastic purple flower.

Image obtained from Wikimedia commons. Miss America, Nina Davuluri was asked to prom.

Davuluri went to Central York to give a speech and offered time to ask questions, it was then that Farves stood up and said, “Miss America, I have a question. Will you go to prom with me?” Students then cheered him on while Farves danced around, and once cheering stopped, Central administration dealt with the outburst.

Image obtained from Wikimedia commons. Patrick Farves is featured on the today show talking about his outburst.

The issue was not because Farves asked Davuluri to prom, but because the administration found out about the senior’s plan and told him not to or there would be consequences. Once classmates learned about the suspension, they used #FreePatty on social media sites such as twitter and instagram.

Principal Robert Bryson did not have an issue with Farves asking Davuluri to prom but he did have a problem with the way the student went about it.

“Could he have asked her to prom in private? Could it have been done after the assembly? It was the way the student went about it, if it would have been spontaneous, it would have been a different situation,” said Bryson. “However, the fact that he was warned and chose not to listen, that deserves discipline.”

It is easy to see why administration would be upset, but it is also easy to understand why classmates are sticking up for him.

Sophomore Mallory Lebo thinks administration took it too far.

“He was a class clown so this should have been expected,” said Lebo. “He shouldn’t have been suspended; he really didn’t do anything wrong. He asked a girl to prom, that isn’t a crime.”

It is easy to understand why both the student and administration are upset, but at the end of the day Farves was suspended for three days and paid for his outburst.