Envirothon team defies environment

At one point in the competition students investigated soil layers in the ground.  Picture from EnvirothonPA.
At one point in the competition students investigated soil layers in the ground. Picture from EnvirothonPA.
Envirothon is a big event across the state. Picture by Jefferson-Morgan Reporter

Susquehannock’s Envirothon team ventured out into the rain to compete against other schools in York County On Tuesday, April 29th.

Susky brought two teams, one of upperclassmen and one of underclassmen.  The former placed 6th out 18 while the latter placed 13th.

While many in the school are not aware of the team, for some such as freshman Hannah Naylor it has become a way of life.

“I chose to repeat Envirothon because I have been doing it through elementary and middle school,” Naylor said.  “I have just gotten used to doing it every year.”

The topics this year’s teams studied were forestry, wildlife, aquatics, soils and current events.  The current events section this year focused on sustainable local farming.

At one point in the competition, students investigated soil layers in the ground. Picture from EnvirothonPA.

The competition was held in Rudy Park near Central York High School, and featured competitions, an hour lunch and an awards ceremony at the end of the day. Many members of the team complained of miserably rainy and cold weather; nevertheless, the teams braved the weather to complete the day.

The day started nice but quickly deteriorated.  Picture from EnvirothonPA.
The weather started nice but quickly deteriorated. Picture from EnvirothonPA.

Sophomore Michella Salvetti was able to look past the weather to enjoy the fun day with her team.

“The weather [on the day of the competition] was miserable,” she said.  “It was fun to go out and compete with my team, though.”

The team has dedicated every other Tuesday to studying the material they would need for the competition.  Coach and chemistry teacher Kyle Jane is glad he was able to lead the students in this extracurricular activity.

“Seeing the students do well and have fun is great,” he said.  “It’s also a neat way to see application of things covered in class in the real world.”

Envirothon supplies students with a way to learn new information in a different situation.  It consists of students answering trivia questions about the local environment in a quiz format in different categories.

With this competition over, the team has begun to look forward to next year, always welcoming new members to the team who enjoy the science behind Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock River is just one of the fantastic elements of Pennsylvania studied in the competition.
The Susquehannock River is just one of the fantastic elements of Pennsylvania studied in the competition. Picture by VisitPA