Jameis Winston gets ‘crabby’

Florida State quarterback and 2013 Heisman winner Jameis Winston has been in the news numerous times involving scandals these last few years.

In July of 2013, Winston was visiting a Florida Burger King when the police were called to the scene. An employee of the Burger King stated that Winston was stealing soda by using the ketchup cups to take soda. After being told to stop, he asked for a water cup and continued to fill it with soda.

In November of last year, Winston was accused of raping a woman in December of 2012. He never ended up being charged, but it still left a scar on his reputation.

And finally, just last week, Winston was issued a citation for shoplifting crab legs in the Tallahassee area. Winston said that it was “an honest mistake” and that it was “youthful ignorance.”

An off-duty police officer in the front of the store said that Winston paused before he left to avoid the officer before leaving the store. He says that it was a mistake, but senior Alec Lebo isn’t so sure.

“I feel like he was only sorry because he got caught,” said Lebo. “I think if he wouldn’t have gotten caught he would have done it again.”

Junior Aaron Portner agrees with Lebo’s statement.

“I think he did this on purpose because college athletes don’t get paid,” said Portner. “He couldn’t afford it and thought he could just get away with it. I think he should be suspended from the baseball team. If it was a normal person like you or me, we would have gotten in more trouble than he did, but because he’s a respected individual he gets an easier ride than the normal everyday person.”

Many Susquehannock students feel the same way as the people that we interviewed. Students believe that he did this knowingly, but if that he wasn’t as famous as he is, that he would be getting in more trouble than he is now. Considering his record, it’s hard to believe that what he did was unintentional considering the circumstances of the situation. Once he got home and realized that he had made a mistake, he still did not call the store or go back in the store and pay for his food.

College athletes and other highly recognized people get let off the hook to easy. Maybe it’s time to start leading by example.

Delicious snow crab legs with old bay seasoning.
Sow crab legs are delicious with with Old Bay seasoning. Photo By: Jason Lam
The campus of FSU University, where Winston attends. Photo by Ayzmo
The campus of FSU University is  where Winston attends. Photo By: Ayzmo
A Publix supermarket in McDonough, Georgia. Photo by Mike Kalasnik from Fort Mill, USA
Publix supermarkets can be found  in McDonough, Georgia. Photo By: Mike Kalasnik from Fort Mill, USA