NHL semi-finals brings twist

With the first round of the Stanley Cup conference quarterfinals completed, four teams in each conference remain in the semifinals fighting for the beloved Cup.

In the Eastern Conference, no. 1 seed Boston Bruins will play the no. 3 seed Montreal Canadians in the Atlantic division; in the Metropolitan division the no.1 seed Pittsburgh Penguins will play the no. 2 New York Rangers. To get to the second round, both the Penguins and Rangers had to play a game seven.

In the quarterfinal, Boston played Detroit and won the series 4-1, Montreal defeated Tampa Bay 4-0, Pittsburgh knocked out Columbus 4-2, and New York eliminated Philadelphia 4-3.

Throughout the series, Boston defeated Detroit by an overall score of 14-6. Although it may look like Tampa Bay got destroyed, the games were all decided by one goal, aside from game 2 where the Canadians defeated the Lightning by a score of 4-1. Montreal scored 16 goals during the series while Tampa Bay scored 10 goals.

The other two eastern conference series was much closer than the other two; both series having a close overall score. The Penguins ended up coming up on top with an overall score of 21-18 over Columbus. The rivalry series between the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers was almost as close as the Pens versus Jackets series with an overall score of 19-15.

Junior Carly Deter attended game five when the Penguins defeated the Jackets 3-1.

“When they scored first [the Jackets], I was a little worried,” said Deter. “We ended up storming back, and the game was a great time.”

Although some fans enjoyed the playoffs, others, like health and physical education teacher Doug Truscott whose team got eliminated, did not.

“The Rangers showed up to play while, the Flyers did not. We had some games that played really well and others did not. That’s why we lost game seven; we did not show up,” said Truscott.

Although Pittsburgh won its first round of the playoffs, their superstar Sidney Crosby scored his first goal since March 30 on their May 5 win.

Senior Penguins fan Michael Spadafore is pleased with the way his team has played.

“Although Sid just scored his first goal of the playoffs, our team is full of great players. Crosby has had plenty of assists to these great players,” said Spadafore.

The 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs have been full of surprises, and it will be interesting to see which team is holding up the cup in June.