Overcoming procrastination

One can not lie; whether it be doing household chores or doing school work, everyone has procrastinated at one point, and if one is in high school waiting for that summer break, slacking off is present more than ever before.

As the school days go by and by, day one-hundred rolls on, everyone feels the pressure of summer coming. Many go through school accomplishing what one needs to do. On the other hand, there are some who wait on the edge of their seats for 2:43 p.m. to come all day.

Students talk to each other, while others play on cell phones. Photo by: Elise Delozier

With many distractions in school, students need to stay focused on the main goal, graduation. Three out of ten students fail without a diploma, according to Global Post. Eventually this adds up to around 1.3 million students in the entire United States failing high school.

If one wishes to go to college and get further education, one knows you need a diploma. Without one, have fun time trying to get into a college. A diploma raises one’s chances of admittance into a better colleges.

Many students are still working hard at their school work and are over achieving the teachers expectations. Photo by: Elise Delozier
Many students are still working hard at their school work and are over achieving their teachers’ expectations. Photo by: Elise Delozier

Colleges look for achievements that one has accomplished throughout their school year. They also look to see how well one has done in one’s classes to see if work ethic is present. Colleges look at because they want to make sure  the person has the abilities to pass their classes.

Students hide behind book bags to finish playing a games without teachers watch. Photo by: Elise Delozier
Students hide behind book bags to finish playing  games without teachers seeing them. Photo by: Elise Delozier

Junior April Horner said she tends to slack off towards the end of the year. Horner keeps her grades up throughout the year. Horner has little interest in some of her classes but does what she is required for her classes. She bravely admitted her grades are higher now because she does not want to fail at the end of the year.

“I know I have time to slack off at the end of the year because I buckled down in the beginning,” said Horner. “When you slack off, you fail. Unless you want to be a super senior.”

There are many reasons why a person pushes off work. Too much procrastination can affect long-term work ethic and how your work outcomes. Procrastination can affect your health, your behavior, and one can adapt low self-esteem. If one waits to the last-minute to get everything in one can feel rushed, and anxiety can form. To help reduce ones stress in school, staying on top of school work is a start. Overall, to achieve one’s goals in life, whatever they might be, they need to be backed up by a strong recommendation and, a high school diploma.