Members of the Model UN become foreign delegates

Students view a powerpoint regarding the United States Navy. Photo courtesy of YCPHSMUNC

Thirteen students, acting as mock foreign delegates, participated in a Model United Nations Conference at York College on April 5.

York College’s History and Political Science Department hosted the event, which ran from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and a free lunch was provided for students who participated.

Prior to the conference, the student delegates were required to research their chosen country. Before they could participate in any discussion, they had to become experts on the country’s culture, politics, economy, demography, and international relations through research.

Junior Clayton Leasure, freshman Josh Joy, junior Anastasia Kuznetsova, freshman Simone Blanchat, senior Aubrey Scott, junior Kevin Chick, freshman Vance Zoeltsch, junior Brady Achterberg, junior Jared Jordan, sophomore Will Earls, freshman Dan Mcnair, sophomore Eli Holloway, and freshman Michael Koval all participated in the conference.

Interested students can contact gifted teacher Kate Newland to get involved with the Model UN. Students should be interested in debating, foreign affairs, and public speaking.

Koval received an award for stepping out of his comfort zone for his participation in a security council committee for representing Israel. According to Koval, Israel had strong views on weaponization of space and nuclear power, so he wanted to learn more about its views.

“My favorite part of the conference was at the end when we decided on a resolution,” said Koval. “It really resembled the real United Nations.”

During the conference, not only did students each represent a foreign country, but they also were required to participate in one of three committees. According to Newland, the committees included one for nuclear power and weaponization of space, one for land grabs, sanitation, and disease, and the third for the Israel-Palestine conflict and peacemaking policies.

A representative from the U.S. Army War College spoke at the conference, and students had the the opportunity to learn all about the branches of the military. Colonel Michael Doherty gave a formal presentation to the students in order to teach them.

Newland serves as the primary leader for Susquehannock’s Model UN. She enjoys watching students in their element. She was most impressed by the students thinking on their feet during the conference.

“I think the Model UN benefits students by having to learn debate skills and speaking in front of people.” said Newland. “They really learn a lot about the world around them.”

The purpose of the Model UN is to have students think critically and practice public speaking. Also, students practice professional behavior in a formal setting. Throughout their time at York College, the students wrote two page resolutions from the conference. The resolutions needed to be professional and formal as well.

Senior Aubrey Scott joined the Model UN because she enjoys debating, and most recently, she represented Germany at the conference.

“It definitely enhances your public speaking skills,” said Scott. “It gives you the confidence to stand up in front of a group of people that you really don’t know.”

The Model UN enjoyed a great success for its members at its York College conference, and it looks forward to new opportunities in the future.