Disney’s Frozen takes title of Top Animated Movie

Disney’s Frozen, pushing past Toy Story 3 for the most successful animated movie of all time, making $1,072.4 million worldwide, has caused Disney fans to look back on the top animated movies in history.

Coming in No. 5, Finding Nemo topped the box office in 2003, making a gross $970.8 million worldwide. It topped the charts for seven years, holding its title as the top animation in the world. Because of the popularity of animated movies, Nemo has currently dropped down four spots. When the sequel Finding Dory releases in 2016, many movies in the animated genre could be competing for a top spot.

Finding Nemo comes in #5, making a gross $970.8 million. Photo by: Pixar Animation Studios (Wikimedia Commons)

Senior Cheyenne Hess thought Finding Nemo was a really great movie.

“It was such a cute movie,” said Hess. “Every fish had their own personality, and they were so funny.”

The always hilarious Despicable Me 2 comes in the fourth spot, having earned $970.7 million in 2013. The sequel of Despicable Me that came out in 2010 has been called the Shrek of the new generation. Being Universal Pictures’ most profitable movie ever, the minions and crew are coming back for a

The adorable minions of Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2 captivated audiences, making a gross $970.7 million worldwide, good enough for fourth place. Photo by: Jhayceemen (Wikimedia Commons)

third movie in 2017, where animated movie-goers will be able to see if the third movie will end up like Shrek 3 or will take Frozen out of the #1 spot.

Junior Anna Nelson really liked the movie, Despicable Me 2.

“I thought that movie was really funny,” said Nelson. “I really liked how all the characters were developed throughout the film.”

One of Disney’s most notable films, The Lion King comes in the third spot, making $987.5 million in 1994. Many 90’s kids will forever remember Simba and the gang as one of the best character groups of the decade. Walt Disney’s best animated film The Lion King franchise saw two other ‘sequels’ including The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride, focusing on Simba and Nala’s daughter, Kiara, and The Lion King 1 ½, which saw how the lovable Timon and Pumbaa met each other and events that occurred before the original movie. Although, the sequels were not as successful as the first movie, many animated fans still note The Lion King as one of the best animated movies of all time.

Senior Chelsey Simmers’ favorite animated movie was The Lion King.

The Lion King comes in third place on the list, making $987.5 million, although the sequels after the original did not do as well. Photo by: The Walt Disney Company (Wikimedia Commons)

“It can relate to any person at any age,” said Simmers. “Also, the music is just awesome.”

One of the most known Disney movies would have to be Toy Story 3, the third installment in the franchise, made an overall $1,063.2 million in 2010, capturing the second place spot. Being Pixar’s most successful series of movies, the Toy Story franchise has captured the hearts of many children across the world. Toy Story was the first feature-length computer-animated film and the first animated movie that Pixar created. The two main characters, Woody (voiced by Tom Hanks) and Buzz Lightyear (voiced by Tim Allen) raked in $361 million worldwide in its first opening weekend with its release in 1995. In 1999, Toy Story 2 earned $485 million with the return of Woody and the other toys. With Toy Story 3, the final movie in the franchise, fans were more

Runner-up, Toy Story, made a gross $1,063.2 worldwide, Woody and the gang returned for two more movies after. Photo by: Wikimedia Commons

than happy to see the movie be as successful as it was.

Senior Zack Gloeckner actually shed a tear during the final movie.

“It was so sad to see the Toy Story franchise end,” said Gloeckner.

The current queens of the box office are those from Disney’s latest animated movie, Frozen. Released over Thanksgiving weekend in 2013, the movie has made $1,072.4 million and is still making more.

Freshman Seairra Wright thought that Frozen was the greatest animated movie she’s ever seen.

“I really liked all the music and songs throughout the movie,” said Wright. “The movie also showed how sisters’ relationships can turn out to be.”

Frozen has captured the hearts of fans all across the world, making the most money in South Korea, $77.1 million. Currently still playing overseas in Japan, its total of $50.5 million is still counting. With a record-breaking $93.5 million made in five days on Thanksgiving weekend, Frozen is projected to make $400 million just in the United States alone, enough to recognize it as the top animated movie of all time.

The voice of the main character Queen Elsa, Idina Menzel, stuns Frozen fans with her amazing voice. Her #1 song, Let It Go, was enough to bump the movie to first place, making $1,072.4 and counting worldwide. Photo by: Chad J. McNeely (Wikimedia Commons)

All information from: http://filmonic.com/box-office-frozen-now-highest-grossing-animation-time-worldwide