NBA MVP race revs up

LeBron James photo by Scott Mecum
LeBron James is 6.  Photo by Scott Mecum

The NBA season is almost over, and the MVP race has many people concerned about who will win.  

The race has been down to  Miami Heat’s LeBron James and Oklahoma City’s Kevin Durant, both having had phenomenal seasons so far. James had a game for the record books putting up 61 points against the 6th ranked defense in the NBA, the Charlotte Bobcats.  After the game many critics believe James changed the direction of the race. Before his 61 point game outbreak, LeBron was in an unfamiliar place-second place.

Power forward Durant, has already established the fact he is a hall of famer in the making.  In a league of superstars, Durant is unguardable, averaging 32.2 points per game and 5.6 assists a game.

Junior Aaron Portner tracks the NBA and the MVP race.  Portner has played basketball for more than 8 years and is also a big Miami Heat fan.

Durant dunks on the competition photo by Keith Allison
Durant dunks on the competition. Photo by: Keith Allison

“Kevin Durant will win MVP,” said Portner.  “He averages like 30 points a game. He’s a monster.”

Portner believes it’s just not LeBron’s year.  He also believes that Durant is sooner than later going to be the face of the NBA.

Sophomore Daniel Stiffler is a sports enthusiast who constantly keeps up to date on the MVP race.

“It all depends on how the heat do,” said Stiffler. “If LeBron can pull his team to another championship, he has the possibility to win it, but it doesn’t look that good for him so far.”

April 16 marks the end of the NBA season.  Durant has led his team in the second playoff spot while LeBron has also led his team to the second playoff spot.

The MVP race looks like it will be close, and the winner will have to take his team to the finals to win it.

Kevin Durant photo by Keith Allison
Kevin Durant is #35. Photo by: Keith Allison