Orioles come out on top on Opening Day

The Baltimore Orioles were able to edge out the World Champion Boston Red Sox, 2-1 in their home Opening Day on Monday, March 31 at Camden Yards.

Junior Gabby Corey was more than excited for Opening Day.

“I was very excited for Opening Day,” said Corey. “I love the Orioles and everyone on the team.”

Orioles’ manager Buck Showalter led his team to a victory on Monday against the Red Sox, 2-1. Photo by: Keith Allison (Wikimedia Commons)

With a lineup already containing big sluggers, it’s no surprise that newcomer Nelson Cruz made a great fit for the Baltimore team. Cruz celebrated his first day in Baltimore with a solo home run in the seventh inning, proving to be the winning hit in a tight battle between both teams. Fans greeted the slugger, who hit 27 home runs last year as a Texas Ranger, with chants of “Crrruuuuzzzz!” as he walked down the ‘Orange Carpet’.

Former Texas Ranger turned Baltimore Oriole, Nelson Cruz broke the tie late in the seventh inning to give the Orioles the go ahead run and beat the Red Sox, 2-1. Photo by: Keith Allison (Wikimedia Commons)

“It was really neat, it was special,” said Cruz according to the Baltimore Sun. “I made the right call to come and be part of this organization, be part of this town.”

Fellow Oriole, Chris Davis, who hit 53 home runs and had 138 RBIs in 2013, went 0 for 3 with two strikeouts last night as the clean-up hitter. It didn’t seem to matter much as Cruz picked up Davis in the 5-hole.

“It takes some of the pressure off everybody in the lineup knowing that you can pass the baton and next guy can pick it up,” Davis said according to CBSsports.com. “We have to know as hitters going into the game that we can be patient, we can wait for our pitch, knowing that the guy behind us can pick us up.”

Orioles starter Chris Tillman allowed one run, seven hits and a walk in five innings. In 2013, the right-hander went 3-1 against Boston last year, but in 2014 he needed 104 pitches to get 15 outs. Baltimore used four relievers after the initial start by Tillman, Zach Britton earned the victory with two scoreless innings of relief. Evan Meek walked two batters in the eighth inning before Brian Matusz came in and finished the inning. Tommy Hunter, the new Orioles closer after Jim Johnson left in the offseason, battled in the ninth inning, facing the top of Boston’s batting order, but he was able to earn the three outs to complete the save.

“I thought the O’s did pretty good,” said Corey. “Both teams held up well and the fans got the outcome we hoped for.”

Although the Red Sox had nine hits, they weren’t able to deliver with runners on, going 0 for 10 with runners in scoring position, stranding 12 on base. The only run came from Boston’s Grady Sizemore, whose last MLB at bat was in 2011. Sizemore hit his first home run in the top of the fourth to put the Sox on the board, his last home run at Camden Yards in July 2011.

Senior Alec Lebo believes that for the first game, the Orioles did exceptional and even has high hopes for the future.

camden yards
Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore, Maryland is  home to the Baltimore Orioles. Photo by: Bethany Miller

“I believe Baltimore will finish 2nd in the AL East and make it far into the playoffs,” said Lebo. “I still have trust in their pitching staff and believe they have the offense to get them there.”

46,685 fans attended Baltimore’s Opening Day, making it the 23rd consecutive time there was an opening day sellout at Camden Yards. Both teams meet again on Wednesday, April 2 where Boston’s John Lackey (13-5 lifetime against Baltimore) will face Ubaldo Jiminez in his Baltimore debut.