My cultural adventure in the Bahamas

Recently I took a week long cruise to the Bahamas where I learned a lot about their culture.

In the Bahamas I visited both trafficked and up-to-date places such as the Atlantis Resort as well as the smaller town of Port Canaveral in Freeport.

This was actually my second time visiting Port Canaveral, and within the past two years since I was last there, there were not any advancements or improvements to the small town. I think of it as more of a town that remains true to its culture.

Many straw markets and shops were placed at the port in Nassau due to the heavy amount of tourism. Photo By: Maddie Kroner

Due to the big amount of tourism in this small town, two of the most common jobs for the people there was working in the straw markets or selling souvenirs in stands on the streets. The straw markets were in pavilions, and individuals would set up stands and sell their handmade products, native to the Bohemian culture. Selling products was how most of the people in Port Canaveral made their money, so many of the people there were very persistent and pushy for someone to buy their products.

On the other end of the spectrum the Atlantis Resort I visited was a giant hotel, aquarium, casino, beach, and waterpark all in one. The whole park had the theme of the sunken city of Atlantis. The resort was in Nassau which was a higher end part of the Bahamas than Port Canaveral, and was much like a city would be in the United States. Even though the city was much like one here in the US, the Bohemian culture was still very evident.

The Atlantis Resort in Nassau, Bahamas. Photo By: Maddie Kroner

Some major differences over in the Bahamas I noticed were driving on the opposite side of the road then us and their steering wheel was on the right and the left, depending on the car.

I also noticed that the people there were much prouder and aware of their culture. To the people there, their culture was more a prevalent in their everyday life and they were very excited to get the chance to share it with others. Everyone there wore bright colors which is part of their past tribal costumes, and all of the buildings and houses were decorated with bright colors.

This is a view of the more developed area in Port Canaveral along the water. Photo By: Maddie Kroner

This trip allowed me to see how others outside of America live and how different everyday life can be for others around the world. I would highly recommend visiting the Bahamas or any country to be able to experience new cultures and different ways of life.