Boys tennis looks to build on success

The boys tennis team is getting ready for what they hope is another successful season after finishing with an overall record of 9-4 last year.

Susquehannock ended up being tied for the Division II title with Delone Catholic last season.  However, a short postseason run ended the season.  Last season, four seniors and five juniors took the court for the warriors, however only three seniors will play this season.

Kaltrin Bullaj  will be hard to replace, after a successful season last year. Photo By: York Dispatch.
Kaltrin Bullaj will be hard to replace. Photo By: York Dispatch.

Despite losing some key players, senior Kyle Beam thinks the team will be able to replace them.

“I think we can replace them to some degree,” said Beam. “But our number one player will be hard to replace.”

Beam was referring to was Kaltrin Bullaj.  One of the highlights from last season was Bullaj being named a Division II all-star. Bullaj along with fellow players Shane Bookhultz, Ben Oleska, and Paul Orndorff will not return due to graduating last year.

The team began their preparation on March 3, when they held their first practice.  Players will work on perfecting their game and look to grow as a team.  Despite being a mostly individual sport, the unity of the team is very important for the players as well as head coach Marianne Michels.

In order to build that team unity, many returning players will become leaders and will teach incoming players.  Senior Austin Scott is one of those returning leaders who has big goals for the team this year.

The 2013 boys tennis squad gathers for their team photo. Photo By: www.syc.k12.pa.us/athletics

“We plan on winning the division again this year,”  said Scott with a lot of confidence.

In order to get to that point, the team will have to go through a long season.  The first game will be against Dallastown on March 17.