Does Disney distort the minds of girls?

People everywhere have enjoyed the Disney Princesses since 1937 when the first princess, Snow White, appeared, but there’s hidden problems in their media that many have fret over for years.

All of the current Disney Princesses at Disney World. Photo by: Candace Lindemann, 2013, wikimedia.
All of the current Disney Princesses stand together at Disney World.
Photo by: Candace Lindemann, 2013, wikimedia.

Each princess has their own story that separates them from the others. However, many fans have begun to turn against Disney’s idea of beauty as each princess slowly turns out to be the same. People see the princesses as all having long flowing hair, big eyes, an hourglass figure, and until Tiana from The Princess and the Frog, all were pale skinned. They argue this morphs little girl’s minds with a distorted image of beauty that they feel they need to emulate.

On a blog Then Until Now, their article Growing Up with a Fairytale said that the movies make girls believe that they need to change themselves to what men want in order for them to be loved, and it is absolutely not okay. With this, girls grow up with little self esteem and no respect for themselves.

Popular fairy tale books on display. Photo by: Anna Lim, Manila Philippines. Wikimedia.
These are popular fairy tale books on display. Photo by: Anna Lim, Manila Philippines. Wikimedia.

Many people have pinpointed disorders on the media overall; it’s not only the princesses’ fault.

• Anorexia is the 3rd most common illness for young girls; 90% are 12-25 years old.

• Eating disorders have the highest death rate of any other mental illness. It’s 12 times higher than all causes of death for women.

• 50% of 11 to 13 years olds see themselves as overweight.

At 11 to 13 years, girls are still growing, and continue to grow until generally age 18. On Discovery.com, they explain; “The human body grows steadily from birth, and by the late teens the skeletal system has fully formed. Although you’re unlikely to grow any taller after the age of 20, scientists have recently discovered that some bones never stop growing as you age.”

This Barbie shows the common style of most Barbies sold. Photo by: Miriam Guterland, 2013, Wikimedia.

For years, women have struggled with the media. The women in the media are photoshopped and transformed with make-up and show an unrealistic figure that people want women to fit into. This, again, does not affect every single girl, but it does distort a huge number. Sociology of Women provides helpful information on the issue.

This information is only to make women more aware of what’s around them and not let the media tell them what they should be. It’s still 100% alright to love the princesses, but remember- it’s only fantasy.