O’Brien leaves PSU

After two seasons with a tattered program, Bill O’Brien led his team to a record of 15-9; O’Brien then left the program for a head coaching position in Houston to replace Gary Kubiak.

Penn State alumni, fans, students, and players were shocked at the fact that O’Brien would just leave with only two Penn State seasons under his belt.  O’Brien came as a solution to a beat up Penn State, and two years later he leaves causing more problems.

Math teacher and Penn State Alumni J.C. Lewis is a big PSU football fan.

“Initially, I was a little upset,” said Lewis. “O’Brien was a good head coach, but he’s got to do what he’s got to do. I am more upset with the system [of] how kids are now locked in on Penn State when their coach is now leaving.”

With O’Brien leaving, he leaves the many players he recruited, committed to him, the school, and the program’s system.

Senior Zach Holloway was upset with O’Brien’s decision.

“I am very disappointed, of course I am,” said Holloway. “But ultimately it’s his decision, and it was his dream to be a NFL head coach… I think the Texans got a good coach.”

Many believe this will leave a large impact on Penn State and its program.  “I hope that this does not affect the program, but the kids who committed will definitely be affected. They will need to learn a new system, meet the new head coach, and start over,” said Lewis.

Senior Adam Dell “and PSU football fanatic” has a different view on the subject.

“I think it was smart for him to leave,” said Dell. “I was somewhat mad, but it was his dream to become a NFL Head Coach, and if that’s what he wants to do, he should do it.”

Many fans would like to know where “Penn State goes” from here.  Dell said, “I believe this will not leave a big impact on PSU because James Franklin is coming in, and he turned Vanderbilt around. So… He could do a lot at  Penn State.”

Vanderbilt University photo by WikiMedia
This is Vanderbilt University’s gymnasium. Photo By: WikiMedia

Franklin turned the “Vanderbilt” program around and ended with a 24-14 record.  The question of whether or not Franklin will do just as well or even better than O’Brien will be decided in the Fall of 2014.