Alex Rodriguez suspension reduced

Alex Rodriguez is back in the news with his suspension reaching its final ruling.

A-Rod swings for the Fences.  Photo by: Keith Allison (Wikimedia)
A-Rod swings for the fences. Photo by: Keith Allison (Wikimedia)

Last year, The New York Yankees Second baseman was caught with performance enhancing drugs for the second time in his career.  Major League Baseball took action by suspending him for 211 games.  Rodriguez appealed this ruling and ended up having it reduced to 162 games.

During last year’s season, a report had emerged about multiple players receiving PED’s (performance enhancing drugs) from the same source.  The incident was given the name the“Biogenesis scandal.”  Fourteen players, including Rodriguez, were associated with the reports of receiving steroids from the rejuvenation clinic “Biogenesis of America.”

Some of the other notable players involved were Jhonny Peralta (Detroit), Nelson Cruz (Texas), and Everth Cabrera (San Diego).  All players in the scandal received a 50 game suspension except for Rodriguez and Ryan Braun (Milwaukee).

The five time all-star right fielder Braun received a 65-game suspension due to the fact that he had been a part of a PED scandal back in 2011.  Braun was able to escape punishment in 2011 by proving his testing sample did not follow proper protocol when being transported from the testing center.

Rodriguez, age 38, has played in the MLB for the past 20 years.  Starting as a prospect with the Seattle Mariners, he quickly made himself known and eventually signed a contract with the Texas Rangers.  From there, A-Rod grew even more in popularity and was sent to the New York Yankees in 2004.  Over his career he has won three MVP awards and 10 Silver Slugger awards and has joined the 500 home run club.

Rodriguez walks away after a strikeout.  Photo by: Keith Allison (Wikimedia)
Rodriguez walks away after a strikeout. Photo by: Keith Allison (Wikimedia)

For Rodriguez, the road ahead doesn’t get any easier.  At the age of 38, Rodriguez will be just shy of 40 when he is eligible to play again.  Besides this, it has been over two years since A-Rod has played a full season; he has struggled with multiple injuries that have left him on the bench.  When he did play, Rodriguez did not produce the same as he had in the past.

Despite his drop off in recent years, some baseball fans think A-Rod has more left in the tank.  Senior Jake McDonnell believes Rodriguez will return.

“I think he can play another one or two years.  He still has some value as a player,” said McDonnell.

So the question becomes, “will Alex Rodriguez ever play in the MLB again.”  Rodriguez has proven he can make a comeback, but this time it will be more difficult.  If Rodriguez does return to the Yankees or another team in two years, he will face some struggles.  Gaining his teammates trust and trying not to be a distraction in the locker room are just a few of his eventual problems.

The use of performance enhancing drugs has become a big issue in Major League Baseball.  Several other problems have stemmed from the use of PED’s in baseball.  Many former players will not get into the Hall of Fame because of admitting to using steroids.  Also, other players who never had a history with PED’s are being denied because they played in the “steroids era.”

Alex Rodriguez takes his place at third base.  Photo by: Keith Allison(Wikimedia)
Alex Rodriguez takes his place at third base. Photo by: Keith Allison(Wikimedia)

This has started a big debate among baseball fans everywhere.  Many questions such as “Should steroid users be allowed in the Hall of Fame?” are being asked by fans.

Some fans, like Senior TJ Lochte, believe the punishment is not strong enough for players.

“If a player has been caught multiple times, they should be kicked out of baseball,” said Lochte.

One thing is for sure though, Major League Baseball will continue to test players and do everything they can to protect the integrity of the game.