Clayton Kershaw stll impresses

Nicknamed the claw for his style of pitching, Clayton Kershaw spent little time making his way to the top of the charts.

Kershaw grew up in Dallas, Texas where he attended Highland Park High School. He was offered a full scholarship to play baseball at Texas A&M, but he denied the offer. Drafted right out of high school to play in the Major Leagues for the Los Angeles Dodgers, he spent less than a year in the Dodger’s farm team, The Raptors, before he was drafted into the Major Leagues in 2008.

Sophomore Peter Coombes stated his position about Kershaw’s decision.

“Its everyone’s dream to play in the major leagues,” said Coombes. “I don’t blame him for denying the deal to Texas; he’s pro-material.”   Kershaw was the seventh pick of the first round of the Major League draft. Being the youngest player in the MLB at the time being only 19, he signed a two-year 19 million dollar deal with the Dodgers. At the time he was the highest paid pitcher for his age.

Sophomore Nick Bertholdt speaks his opinion about the young pitcher.

“It is very rare to be that young and that good,” said Bertholdt. “ He’s going to go a long way, possibly to the Hall Of Fame.”

Kershaw won the Triple Crown Award in 2011 for having the best stats in strikeouts, earned run average, and wins. Along with the Triple Crown he has won three consecutive Cy Young awards in his past seasons. The Cy Young award is given to the best pitcher in the league of the year. In this past season, Kershaw’s contract came to an end with the Dodgers.

The Dodgers were not going to let Kershaw slide out of their hands, so they negotiated a deal. This deal was and still is the highest paid deal of the major leagues for a pitcher. A 215-million dollar deal for seven years with the Dodgers was signed earlier this month..

Video Production teacher and head varsity coach Tim Hare, who is a fan of Kershaw, gives his opinion on the deal Kershaw made.

“That’s a ridiculous amount of money for one player,”  said Hare. “He’s worth double the salary of an average paid player in the big leagues.”

Many believe he is the next Sandy Koufax, one of the best pitchers of all time. With a 77-46 career record and 1206 strikeouts under his belt he is a force to be reckoned with.