Drive safe in all winter weather

Red Ford truck dropping off a student at school on a wintery morning. Photo by: Tyler Ritz

Cold winter weather is nothing avoidable; whether it’s dealing with freezing temperatures, snow, sleet or rain, there are most likely going to be some setbacks getting to your destination.

Whenever one knows there is going to be bad weather over night, it’s best to wake up an extra half hour early to do some quick checking and maintenance on one’s vehicle.

Junior Austin Rae explains his preventative routine on a bitter cold morning.

“I get up 45 minutes early when I know there is going to be harsh weather,” said Rae. “It takes me a good 15 minutes to get the truck cleaned off, and I let it run for at least 20.”

Upon entering the vehicle, it’s best to turn off all appliances such as lights, radio, and heat. This gives the battery full potential to start the vehicle. To start the vehicle in cold conditions, turn the ignition for 20 seconds, but do not turn it more than 20 seconds because it will further damage your battery in cold weather.

Junior Clark Thoman gives instructions on what to do if the car doesn’t start.

“If the car doesn’t start the first 20 seconds, let it sit and try again in a few minutes. This time try to hit the gas lightly because the vehicle may not be fuel-injected,” said Thoman.

When cleaning off the car, it is important to clear the ice and snow off the windshield wipers, so  they can do their job. It is also important to clean all windows off, and the top of the vehicle off. It is a liability if something falls off the vehicle while driving and it causes an accident.

If possible, make the best effort to not go out in icy and snowy conditions. If all else fails and it’s urgent, drive with caution. Leave plenty of room to come to a stop especially when following someone else just incase an unexpected stop occurs.

Health and Driver’s Education teacher Doug Truscott gives his best advice on driving in the winter.

“When driving on icy roads, make your best judgment, and drive accordingly. It’s always better to be safe then sorry,” said Truscott.

To best understand how to drive on ice, Rae explains his technique in simple terms.

“If the back end is sliding left, turn it left, and naturally the car will straighten out and gain traction again. If it’s sliding right, you turn it to the right to straighten out,” said Rae. “When the initial contact with the ice occurs, many panic.”

Stay calm and remember what to do. If the speed of the vehicle isn’t in excess, the damage will be limited to none.

http://www.weather.com/activities/driving/drivingsafety/drivingsafetytips/snow.html