Ski club low-down

Ski Club will take more trips up to Ski Round Top in the upcoming future. 

Ski club  allows students to explore skiing and snow boarding. Students who join the club get four trips up to Ski Round Top, new t-shirts and a pizza party at the end of the year.

There are four-teacher directors that go along with the students, Support teacher Kristin Johnson, English teacher Katherine Wilt, Biology teacher Lauren Jernstrom, and World Languages teacher Stephanie South. “Last year, there were about 40 students who joined,” said Johnson.

Senior Michael Ridenour has been involved with Ski Club for all four years. “It’s social, you meet new friends, you get to be with your friends, and you get to have a good time,” said Ridenour. “Don’t feel pressured; go at your own speed. It’s not a competition! Just have fun with your friends.”

If interested in taking the trips, $30 dollars or a check payable to SHS is needed. This will get one, four trips up to Ski Round Top and pizza party. The trips dates are January 8, 15, 22, and 29.

To go up to Ski Round Top one does not need to wear heavy gear for the slopes, but should make sure to wear protective gear. To rent equipment from Ski Round Top, it cost roughly around $100.
Ski Round top also offers instruction classes for new-comers. These lessons cost around $20, to $30.

Ski Club information can be found on the school web site under, “The Senior Class” or “Class of 2014” tab. You can find this by going onto the school’s homepage (www.syc.k12.pa.us). There are also flyers with information about Ski Club and a wavier on Jernstrom’s and South’s door, located in the science hallway and in the World Languages hallway. After filling the wavier out, return it to room 234.

If one would like to join ski club one can go online and register under the “Class of 2014” tab. If you have any questions, please contact Johnson at [email protected].