Golf team tees off against competition

The Warrior golf team finished third overall in YAIAA Division II, and had an impressive, yet quick post-season run.

Senior Ian Bourne was happy with the way his last golf season went, but thought the Warriors could have competed more.

“I think we could’ve done better,” said Bourne. “We had a lot of laidback practices in the beginning of the season. But once counties were around the corner, coach started making practices a lot harder and the underclassmen really stepped up.”

The team averaged third place throughout their season, normally finishing behind both West York and Eastern York. Their third place finishes included meets at Pleasant Valley Golf Course, Bon Air Country Club, Cool Creek Golf Club, and Briarwood Golf Club. Among these meets was a fourth place finish at Regents’ Glen Golf Club and an impressive second place finish at Royal Manchester Golf Links where the Warriors edged out the Eastern York Knights by four strokes.

“It was a bittersweet moment having this be my senior season,” said Bourne. “I’ve been playing with these guys for four years and our season is really short. It felt like it was over in the blink of an eye.”

Four players made it to the County tournament including senior Bourne, senior Dan Ferraro, senior Alec Lebo, and junior Caleb Bryant. Bourne shot a 90, Ferraro an 88, Lebo a 94, and Bryant advanced to the first round of Districts with a score of 73. Out of the four who made it to Counties, Bryant was the sole member of the Warrior golf team to advance to the District tournament.

“Counties was a fun experience for the last time,” said Ferraro. “Caleb has worked really hard all season, so it was nice to see him shoot a good score and be able to move on.”

The first round of Districts kicked off at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, October 4 at Briarwood East Golf Club. Bryant needed to shoot an 80 in order to qualify for the second round, but was two strokes off, shooting an 82.

“It was very important to me to represent Susquehannock well in the District tournament,” said Bryant. “Next year I’m ready to go back out again and do better.”

Bryant’s goal going into Districts was to shoot well enough so that he could continue and eventually make it to the Regional tournament. Although Bryant did not reach his goal and advance to Regionals, he is confident that next season he will shine as a senior and make it further.

“We’re looking steady for next season. We have a lot of good freshman coming in that are good,” said Bryant. “We’ll be able to make improvements and make next year even better.”