Girls tennis storms into the season

Warrior tennis has come out strong this season, 3-1.

Coach Marianne Michaels has been working with the girls for more than a month already and it is obvious players have already improved. She has been preparing for big matches by making practices and drills much more intense.

“This year we had a number two spot to fill and a number four spot to fill because of [a] graduating player …a player not returning,” said Michaels. “We have had two players, Usha Boblitz and Chelsey Simmers who have stepped up and taken charge. Overall they have improved immensely.”

Senior manager Austin Scott has seen the girls improvement thus far.

“You can definitely see the difference on their [the girl’s] skills now compared to the beginning of the season,” said Scott. “They all have improved at their forehand and backhand, both are crucial skills to have to play tennis.”

The team had a goal of going undefeated this year, and although they have lost a match against Dallastown, they still are working towards districts.

“We HAVE to win our matches against Central and Spring Grove. If we do that, it will be a three-way tie for first place,” said Michaels.

Although the team may have a record of 3-1, senior captain Katie Wagner is so far undefeated. She has played Bermudian Springs, Biglerville, Central York, and Dallastown.

“The team so far this year is doing very well. We lost two critical players this season. Really the only thing we need to do is win close matches,” said Wagner. “Overall, the team has a pretty good forehand, some of us, including myself, have a weaker backhand that we need to work on because the opponents recognize it.”

“The girls are working hard, the Dallastown loss was tough, but I believe we can recover from it,” said Michaels. “The season is going pretty close to what I had planned and that’s all I can ask for.”

With hard work and determination, the girl’s team is expected to go far this year.