Boys soccer stays dominant

Boys soccer stays dominant

The Warrior boys soccer team is back again, starting a new season with a 5-2 record and a strong veteran roster.

Photo by: Sara Cerreta
Senior Nathan Bilbie strikes the ball in the game against Dover.

In a great match-up between Susquehannock and the visiting Southwestern Mustangs, the Warriors fought relentlessly on Monday, September 9 until the end of regulation. The Warriors defeated the Mustangs 5-2.

With four goals in the game, junior Alex Rebich was the standout player on the Warrior side of the field. Three of the goals from Rebich were in the

Photo by: Sara Cerreta
Junior Duncan Mitchell dribbles the ball down the field.

second half after Southwestern tied the game 2-2 early in the half.

Photo by: Sara Cerreta
Junior Alex Rebich goes up against Dover defender, Brendan Warren.

“It felt awesome to get those goals,” said Rebich. “I got to contribute to a big win and prove that we can play a high level of soccer.”

The Warrior squad is returning 10 out of 11 starters from last year and has a new coach, Brett Maxwell, who switched from the girl’s team to the boys.  Seniors Nathan Bilbie and Ryan Chilcoat are returning All-YAIAA midfielders, joining

them are juniors Rebich and Duncan Mitchell. Senior defender Dan Snyder also returns to the lineup and earned honorable mention all-league consideration last season as junior.  The defense is also aided by junior Clay Ayres, and the foundation for the Warriors goal tending is led by senior Mike Jones and junior Nathan Houser.

“It helps a lot,” said Mitchell. “We’ve played a lot together, and it helps the unity of the team. We also do a lot of things together outside of the field.”

Susquehannock suffered a hard blow to their roster with senior midfielder Timmy Wilson out with a meniscus tear. Wilson is projected to join the team in an estimated two weeks.

On Saturday, September 14, the Warriors led a win over the Dover Eagles for the second time this season. Mitchell and Bilbie both scored within 31 seconds of each other in the first half to seal the victory.

“We definitely dominated in the first half of the game. They got lucky with the goal in the first half,” said Bilbie. “It took them scoring to get us going and eventually win.”

Photo by: Sara Cerreta
Bilbie goes up against Dover defenders.

With the pace that the Warriors are playing now, it is highly likely that they could win their div

ision.

“My goal is to win our division, if we keep playing to our full potential it could happen,” said Mitchell. “We could be the best in the county.”

Photo by: Sara Cerreta
Junior Andrew Renzi saves the ball from going out of bounds.