Remembering 9/11

Wednesday, September 11 was the twelfth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Smoke was seen from miles and miles away during the attacks of the World Trade Center in New York City. Photo By: Creative Commons
Smoke was seen from miles and miles away during the attacks of the World Trade Center in New York City.
Photo By: Creative Commons

On this day, terrorists hit both Twin Towers in New York City with a plane, as well as the Pentagon in Virginia. This event also included a plane that was hijacked and crashed in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

During this event, teachers were worried as well as confused as to why anyone would attack America.

“All I wanted to do throughout the entire day was to contact my family and make sure everyone was okay,” said Spanish teacher Heather Walker, astounded by the tragic occurrence.

For much of the school day, teachers, as well as students, were watching the television for updated information about the attack during that day.

The South Tower is being attacked during 9/11. Photo By: Creative Commons
The South Tower was under attack during 9/11.
Photo By: Creative Commons

During the time of the attack, custodian Joan Krebs, was in shock with what happened.

“I just happened to walk past a classroom and saw the T.V. on with a plane that hit the first twin tower, I automatically went to the faculty room to see, and thought to myself, is this real?” said Krebs. “What are the odds of this happening? Then I knew it was real with the plane hitting the second twin tower.”

Throughout the community, people were worried and scared. English teacher Heath Hallman was attending York College at the time to receive his teaching degree.

“I didn’t believe it, couldn’t tell if it was real, then I saw the second twin tower fall, and [I] knew America was under attack,” said Hallman.

Teachers in the building were also worried about their children and what it would do for their future.

The aftermath of the World Trade center during the 9/11 attack. Photo By: Creative Commons
The aftermath of the World Trade center during the 9/11 attack.
Photo By: Creative Commons

“I just wanted everyone close. I don’t have children but I really wanted them, and I thought to myself, what would it do to our children for the future,” said Walker.

As well as many other teachers, Hallman was one to say the same.

“My children were in elementary school, and my wife was teaching. I just had this overwhelming feeling that America would never be the same,” said Hallman.

Days after the attack there was a lot of cleanup that had to be done, along with an ongoing investigation. The number of people who perished during the entire attack is still unknown. In New York City, the number is estimated at minimum of 2,700 victims, according to New York Magazine.

“If the goal of terrorism is to make people change their lives through fear, then the attacks of 9/11 were successful,” said Hallman.

Years of anniversaries are to come, and many will remember this tragic event,  realizing that America came together as one to help each and every person during this difficult time.