‘Back to the future’ with the marching band

Back to the future with the marching band
MB1623
Photo by: Caitlin Garrett
Junior Drum Major Greg Stewart waits as the band learns new sets in the closure.

A new season for the marching band brings a different show from last year’s.

This year’s show, ‘Future Shock,’ features a mix of classical and modern music, including dubstep, the type of music that marching bands don’t usually tend to use. Additionally, during the drum solo, the drumline is actually playing part of a Latin salsa. ‘Future Shock’ is filled with dubstep, techno, previously mentioned latin salsa, as well as a twist of band music.

Senior Flute player Amanda Good believes the music in the show is what will capture the audience’s attention.

CIMG1625
Photo by: Caitlin Garrett
The band is setting up the closure during a afternoon practice.

She said, “It’s Mars! Who doesn’t know Mars? People are better off recognizing it this year with this cool and awesome dubstep marching band right now.”

The Band Director, Mr. Poole, is happy about how far the band has come time wise.
“We’re really ahead of schedule compared to last year, and we have a really nice group of students, too,” said Poole.

Everyone in the band seems excited about this year compared to the last.

Good exclaimed, “I love it. I feel like it’s so much better than last year, because we’re farther ahead and there’s no fourth movement. Normally there’s 4, and we have 3 this year!”

One of the new bass drummers freshman Julian Sherman is excited about his first year with the marching band.

CIMG1621
Photo By: Caitlin Garrett
The wind section warming up before practice.

“I love it. It’s a great chance to meet people, and it’s a good chance for music,” Sherman said. “I love the opener, how it combines dubstep with marching band music.”

Last year, the marching band rose to the top, receiving first place in three out of four competitions with their popular show, ‘Tribal Power.’ The show’s theme revolved around conflict and war, bringing explosive music to the audience. ‘Tribal Power’ was one of the marching band’s best years yet.

Both Good and Sherman say that ‘Future Shock’ will be able to appeal to all viewers.