Colleen McGonigle, salutatorian

Being ranked as salutatorian is an academic career highlight for a senior, and graduating senior of 2013 Colleen McGonigle can easily agree.

Colleen McGonigle, even only two weeks before the year ends, works efficiently in her classes. Photo By: Emily Faber

Salutatorian is the second highest rank in a graduating class and has many perks such as making it easier for a student to get into college and to be offered scholarships.

Since senior Colleen walked through the doors her freshman year, she has been working hard.

“There should be consistent work, no slacking, and remember that everything counts,” says McGonigle.

Through her four years, she has participated in Choir, and even a part of District Choir, as well as Envirothon, Earth Club, and Knitting club to keep her high school life busy and interesting.

As one of the two students graduating top of the class, she will speak at graduation about her rank. Colleen also states, “I’m more excited than nervous to speak about parting words during the ceremony.”

Colleen will be attending Bucknell University as a double major in neuroscience and vocal performance. When her schooling is through, she says she wants to continue a research career, specifically to find how music impacts the brain and what chemical changes occur.

“I’m really interested to discover why and what happens,” said McGonigle.