Students participate in the ‘Day of Silence’

Students participated in the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN)’s 21st annual Day of Silence on April 19.

The Day of Silence is an annual event designed by GLSEN to raise awareness of anti-LGBT bullying.  Participants are silent for the duration of the school or work day, often followed by a “breaking the silence” event where they can start speaking again.

Schools throughout the nation and in at least 40 other countries participated as well.  Many Susquehannock students wore red, this year’s color for the event, and spent the day in silence.  Some students even wrote inspirational messages on their arms and wore beaded bracelets colored like the pride flags.

Junior Sarah Jackson, a participant in the Day of Silence for the last 3 years, was very pleased with this year’s turnout for the event.

“…People asked the participants what we were doing and what the day was about, which was the whole point,” said Jackson.  “…people participated too, and overall I think we really helped to raise awareness.”

In comparison to prior Days of Silence at Susquehannock, this year was a major success.