The Best Horror Movies This Century

The ratings for the horror movie genre have been going down as ideas run out, but the top five horror movies this century with the best reviews are listed below.

Released in 2002, The Ring is probably one of the best horror movie’s released this century; therefore, I list it first. It is based on the Japanese movie, Ringu (1998), which was also based off the novel The Ring (1991) by Koji Suzuki; the plot follows a cursed videotape that allegedly kills the people who watch it within seven days. The Ring is a good horror movie to watch if one is into suspense and surprise scares. If one is not into gore, the movie contains hardly any blood at all.

If you’re a horror fan that’s into jump scares galore and a great storyline, then The Woman in Black (2012) is the best choice, ranked at second. Featuring Daniel Radcliffe, ending his starring role in Harry Potter, The Woman in Black tells the story of a lawyer who is sent to investigate the profits of an abandoned mansion. While there, he discovers the town is living in the shadows of an evil spirit, and he becomes intertwined with solving the curse. The movie is filled with jump scares and horror that keep the watcher on edge, and the storyline draws the reader in, eager to find out the secret behind the woman’s curse. The movie hardly receives enough praise for what it is worth.

Of course, there’s no doubt a zombie movie would make it on this list. Released in 2004, Shaun of the Dead, ranked third, is one of the most popular movies that has combined horror and comedy. It has received positive reviews from movie review sites such as Rotten Tomatoes saying “Shaun of the Dead cleverly balances scares and witty satire, making for a bloody good zombie movie with loads of wit.” Shaun of the Dead features actors Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, a popular comedy duo.

Next, Let the Right One In (2008), ranked fourth, is the story of a 12-year-old boy who finds a young girl during a spontaneous string of murders in his town. After she becomes his new neighbor, he tries to become friends with the girl. As their friendship grows, he finds out that she is a vampire and the culprit behind the horrible murders. The movie follows him as he chooses friendship over intelligence.

At number five, The Mist was based on the 1980 novel by Stephen King. Published in 2007, it follows a group of townspeople that take residence in a grocery store to protect themselves from a suspicious mist covering the town; it seems like only freak weather. But as people stay outside, they see that the mist has also brought gruesome creatures with it. As they’re picked off one by one, the group is left to defend themselves against the monsters.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/