Dealing with the long distance between high school/college relationships

Going through the same thing day in and day out for the past 12 years with the same people is hard enough to leave behind, but if one has a boyfriend or girlfriend, the detachment when one goes off to college can be detrimental.

Choosing a college shouldn’t be based on anyone’s input, other than the person who is choosing. Knowing that, one should pick a college based on the best opportunities it gives for an academic future. This may mean going to a school many hours away, leaving high school love behind, but if one believes the relationship is important enough to stick it out through the distance, it is not impossible.

Making a routine after going separate ways is always a great way to keep consistency in the relationship. According to statisticbrain.com 70% of long distance relationships fail from poor planning. Setting up certain times every week for Skype dates and phone calls to keep in touch will add more normality to the new busy college schedule.

Also, try planning visits far in advance so there is something to look forward to. This will help for motivation in school to get things done as soon as possible in order to be one step closer to seeing one’s significant other.

After one’s boyfriend or girlfriend gets to know the people their partner is meeting at school, then the significant other not at school can feel more comfortable knowing who their partner is with when the couple is not together.

Planning things out and looking forward to spending time together can seemingly shorten the distance between couples dealing with high school/college separation.