Fairie Fest 2013

The 22nd annual May Day Fairie Festival was held on the weekend May 3-5 this year at Spoutwood Farm in Glen Rock.

The Fairie Festival is an annual event for Spoutwood Farm.  They hold this and other annual events, such as the Mother Earth Harvest Fair in the fall season, to promote education about and appreciation for nature.

Every year, hundreds of people gather at Spoutwood Farm during the first weekend of May to partake in the Fairie Festival.  Many people dress up in fairie costumes and decorative apparel, participate in events, or shop at the various tents set up throughout the farms.  There are Maypole dances, drum circles, bands playing at the main stage, pony rides, face painting, and much more.  Vendors sell artwork, clothing, pagan paraphernalia, and food.  There is so much to do, and only three days to do it all.

This year, the Fairie Festival got a big turnout as usual.  Scores of couples, families, friends and individuals showed up in colorful apparel to partake in the dozens of events held at Spoutwood Farm.  Although it was the same weekend as prom, high schoolers showed up as well.

Senior Bailey Tice has been working at Fairie Fest for 4 years now.  She has been working there as a volunteer during the weekend event and has helped to set it up beforehand.  This year she decided to camp overnight for all three of the days she worked and helped to set it up before the event.

“I really love the openness of Fairie Fest,” said Tice, “and I love the people who go there.  They’re just so open and carefree.”