Dance, shake, and stretch the weight off

Photo by Anastasia Kuznetsova
Students in Fassnacht’s second period strike yoga poses.

Many want to lose the weight, yet several sweaty towels, some bottles of water, and one accident with the treadmill later, they quit.

There are many effective exercise programs that do not require a gym or hours upon hours of effort.

If one is lucky, he or she will also find that some of these programs are fun to do and will lower his or her stress level.

This could make shedding weight enjoyable and actually successful.

First, one should make sure he or she is physically able to exercise. A physical before doing any serious exertion is definitely recommended.

Then, it would be a worthwhile investment to purchase some basic equipment. Hand weights would be a good purchase. Make sure that the weights are the proper size. They obviously should not be too heavy to lift. A good test is to do some reps prior to buying the,. At Walmart, iron weights cost around $10.00.

Another excellent idea would be to buy a yoga mat (under $20 at Walmart). Even if someone is not planning on doing yoga, the mat makes working out at home more comfortable, especially if one is exercising on carpet.

If someone wants to build muscular strength, then resistance bands are great tools (under $15 at Walmart). They can be used to build not only arm strength, but they can also be used for legs. Resistance bands can also replace weights.

All of this exercise equipment can be bought for cheap at Target or Walmart.

Comfortable clothing is absolutely necessary for full range of motion. Sweat-wicking clothing is probably the best for really active exercise. Clothing can be purchased at Dick’s Sporting Goods. An Under Armour t-shirt, for instance, could cost anywhere from around $25 to $60. Catching a sale is a great idea to get cheaper tops and pants.

While buying these helpful products, one should also consider purchasing some DVD programs.

Exercise DVDs have trainers that coach viewers through exercises, which means that the viewers will hopefully be motivated to continue.

Some of the most popular exercise programs that are also effective are as follows:

1) P90X- If one buys the entire DVD set, he or she can expect a thorough workout targeting the abs, legs, arms, and cardiovascular strength. The only problem is that the speed and  intensity of the exercises can make many give up. However, by starting out with just some of the video and gradually increasing exercise time, someone could quickly build muscle and their cardiovascular strength. As soon as someone can go through the entire video, he or she will find that their weight will lower and that their muscle is building up. A yoga DVD is also included. For 12 DVDs, it costs $119.85 from Beachbody.com.

2) Insanity- This is similar to P90X in terms of speed and intensity. It also features many DVDs that aim to tone key areas, like legs and the core. It costs $119.85  for 10 DVDs.

3) Zumba and dance in general- These DVDs are absolutely fun, especially for anybody that enjoys dancing. Many advertise that it won’t even feel like exercise, since it is so enjoyable. They definitely increase cardiovascular strength, but the dancing also tones the entire body. Some fun dance DVDs under $10 from Walmart are Dancing With the Stars: Latin Cardio Dance and Jillian Michaels: 6 Week 6 Pack. One zumba DVD for under $10 is Zumba Fitness Dance Party.

Junior Steven Martinez said that workout DVDs can be beneficial for some.

“They’re easy [to use] at home,” said Martinez.

Junior  Colin Tattersall has a different opinion.

“They’re okay,” said Tattersall, “[but] I’d rather just work out without having someone tell me what to do.”

For some, DVD programs are not motivation enough. It could be beneficial for somebody to join a gym. There are many around the Southern York County Area. PA Fitness ($30 per month, no commitment) and Gold’s Gym (initial membership is $149.99 and $29.99 monthly) are two examples.

The environment is suitable for some; seeing others working out can inspire them to exercise as well.

Tattersall is a fan of going to the gym.

“You can work whatever you want to work that day,” said Tattersall.

Martinez also agrees there are perks to having a gym membership, especially when it comes to convenience.

“ [You] can go at your own pace and at a specific time [that suits you],” said Martinez.

Gyms have equipment that would otherwise be impossible for someone to use because of the price. Treadmills are the classic exercise machines found in gyms. Still, there are also bike machines and elliptical machines.

One could also find the gym an excellent option because weights, medicine balls, and most other equipment is already there to use. A gym membership means access to all of these tools.

A gym also offers numerous programs. Yoga, zumba, and pilates are some of the most popular. They are stress-relieving and more relaxing than some other rigorous programs like kickboxing and aerobics.

Still, if someone has self-motivation and doesn’t want to pay a gym membership fee, then he or she can simply buy a workout DVD that teaches exercises like yoga or kickboxing.

Health and yoga teacher Sharon Fassnacht has some advice for DVD purchasers.

“[Do] not buy any until you go online. [Some] you can download for free,” said Fassnacht.

According to Fassnacht, a smart consumer should go on Youtube, for instance, and view clips from the DVD to see if it fits him or her as well.

Fassnacht uses some videos in her Yoga class in combination with her lessons.

“If you need videos to exercise, then I’m all for it,” said Fassnacht. “It just appeals to another type of [person].”

Keeping up with a program is difficult, yet fun exercises can make it possible to improve health or lose weight.

“Working out gets you in shape, and gets [you] the ladies,” said Martinez.

Fassnacht, being a health teacher, is wise when it comes to health risks due to an unhealthy body. She tries to educate students about ways they can lower their risks. Exercising is definitely one of the best methods.

No matter what type of exercise program someone wants to take part in, it is clear that working out is a necessary part of life.