Say hello to the Arts and Tech Fair

When one thinks of the arts, they often think of painting and drawing, but the 6th Annual Arts and Technology Fair encompasses every aspect of the art electives offered at Susky.

The fair will be held on May 16th, 2013 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Patrons will gather in the new gym at the high school.

The fair was created six years ago by technological art teacher Wade Bowers, during his first  year of teaching at Susquehannock High School.

Photos by: Wade Bowers
The work of last year’s students was displayed for the patrons’ viewing pleasure.

Susquehannock High School offers a lot of art electives, and a wide variety of them have students entered in the fair.

The arts involved are Fine Arts, Graphic Arts, Photography, Family and Consumer Sciences, Woodworking, Metalworking, Architectural Design and Mechanical Design Courses, and Fine Arts from the Susquehannock Middle and Elementary School.

“When I started [the fair]…it was just more of the arts, and I think the other departments saw the turnout, and they started to join along…[it has]really been growing in all areas now,” said Bowers.

The students displayed their various aspects of artwork together, from metal to painting.

Bowers hoped to enlighten students, faculty, and members of the community who are involved with the school about the artistic curricular aspects of Susquehannock. He hoped that people would be able to look beyond just academics and sports.

“I just feel like the arts [needed] more recognition… I feel like there needed to be more of a learning process taking place, and the end result needed to be showcased to the community,”
said Bowers.

The fair is a great opportunity for students to be able to show their work to potential schools, employers, and sponsors. It offers a great opportunity for underclassmen to make an early impression on career connections.

Every student in the fair sets up their artwork in a circular pattern as to allow everyone to see all of the aspects.

Senior Lauren Mudrock has been attending the Arts Fair for two years, but this year will be different for her.

“I am excited for this drawing I am doing right now… because I’d like to see how my drawing skills have come along this year through this piece,” said Mudrock.

The turnout for the fair is expected to be the biggest yet, due to the large population last year and the broadening interest in the different aspects of the arts.