Fertilizer plant explodes in West, Texas

Photo Credit: VOA News [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
The fire blazes on at the West Fertilizer Co. minutes before the blast.

In the past week, the nation has been shocked by explosions occurring at the West Fertilizer Co. in West, Texas around 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 17.

The deadly explosion has left 14 people dead, approximately 200 people injured, and between 35 and 40 people unaccounted for.

Some of the lives lost include residents of the destroyed homes and 11 emergency responders who were the first to arrive at the scene before the whole plant exploded in flames. The fertilizer plant was closed at the time of the blast, so fortunately there were no workers inside.

Fox News reported that a four-block area around where the explosion took place has been completely destroyed. Among the damaged buildings include West Rest Haven Nursing Home, which evacuated over 133 patients, over 75 homes, and an apartment building that housed 50 units.

CNN reports that the blast, caused by the ammonium nitrate found in fertilizer, left a 22-foot-deep crater where the plant used to be.

The explosion could be felt and heard miles around. The U.S. Geological Survey reported that the blast registered as a magnitude 2.1 on the Richter Scale. This is comparable to a small earthquake.

After the explosion, burning embers, shrapnel, and other debris rained down on the small town, scaring many of the town members.

Senior Colleen McGonigle saw the images of the aftermath of the explosion and found them to be disturbing.

“The images were horrifying,” said McGonigle. “It was really frightening to see such a violent explosion and to know that such a large number of people were injured in the accident.”

According to Fox News, authorities have said that they believe the explosion was purely accidental. The cause of the accident has

The “Prayers for West” Facebook Page– a place for community members to communicate and for people to send thoughts and prayers to those affected by the horrific blast.

not yet been determined, but authorities are investigating its cause as best as they can since many of the plant’s documents and evidence were destroyed in the blast.

Although it was ruled as an accident, some, including history teacher Kimberly Johnson, believe that the blast could have been avoided had the plant been following safety regulations.

“We should be just as concerned with safety in big businesses,” said Johnson. “The business was not following safety regulations. They weren’t doing what they were supposed to be doing to keep workers safe, and they should be punished.”

Through all of the grieving and destruction, the town is working to cope with the disaster that has struck them.

According to CNN, a Facebook page titled “Prayers for West” has been a place for people to leave thoughtful messages and has served as a message board for the members of West who are trying to coordinate donations and ways to help each other.

The blast has reminded some, such as McGonigle, of the explosion at the Adhesives Research facility back in 2006.

“I’m sure that for all of us in the area, the blast at the fertilizer plant reminded us of the incident several years back at the Adhesive’s Research facility,” said McGonigle. “Our local incident wasn’t nearly as bad as the one in Texas, but we have had a scary and similar experience much closer to home.”

President Barack Obama extended his thoughts and prayers to the people of West, Texas in a statement released by the White House.

“West is a town that many Texans hold near and dear to their hearts, and as residents continue to respond to this tragedy, they will have the support of the American people,” said Obama.

The only school that was not damaged by the blast was West’s elementary school. Parents escorted their children into the elementary school on Monday morning, as they tried to restore some familiarity to the area. Since the middle and high school in West, Texas was too damaged by the blast to hold classes, about 500 students were shuttled to Waco, Texas, a town 15 miles south of West, according to CNN.

On the Sunday after the blast, many flooded into the churches of West. They took solace in praying for those lost and grieving.

Surrounding communities congregated to West’s community center where they dropped off food, water, and other essentials that the residents of West’s destructed homes might need to get through the rough time. Church groups and restaurants in the area also handed out hot meals to those who lost their homes.

A memorial service for victims of the fertilizer plant explosion was scheduled for Thursday, April 25, at Baylor University. President Barack Obama was in attendance.

As the grieving families make funeral arrangements for those lost, the town of West, Texas works to rebuild their strong community as best as they can.