French students hope to make Susky proud

After four years of taking French courses, the French IV students’ hard work will be tested when they participate in a language competition on April 27, 2013 at Shippensburg University.

Four of the six students in the French IV class will be going, along with French teacher Stephanie South. The students are juniors Whitnee McGowan, Katie Martin, and Hannah Jensen.

South has faith in her French IV students.

“They are the most advanced, and they have the best shot at being able to memorize and understand songs and trivia,” said South.

Jeopardy is the first part of the competition. The questions will be in categories such as culture, music, history, literature, etc. The winner of this aspect will be judged by how many questions the student entered for the language, answering correctly. McGowan will compete in this part of the competition.

“After Jeopardy, we are going to be so pumped for the karaoke!” said McGowan.

Karaoke will be the second component of the language competition. This component can have up to four students in a group, so South utilised this option by signing up all three of the students.

The third aspect of the competition is the reading of a poem. The poem must be in the language that the student is taking in school. The poem reading will be judged on pronunciation, stage presence, and choice of the poem. For the poem portion, Jensen will read the poem “Ma Boheme,” which is translated to English as “My Bohemian.”

When given the option to choose her own poem, Jensen chose one that was close to home.

“I thought that it [the poem] fitted my personality, a lot; better than any other poem,” said Jensen.

With the competition nearing, the excitement in the students is escalating. They are practicing as often and as hard as they can. Singing the lyrics, practicing the dance, and researching all the possible categories of jeopardy are several of the ways that the students are gearing up for the competition.

“Everyday in class, the first ten-fifteen minutes we practice our dance and our song, just to prepare for all [of] the events,” said South.

South knows that going to the language competition is more than just winning a trophy.

“I think it will be awesome to not only be able to compete in French, but to meet kids from other schools and to see a college campus that they could possibly be interested in going to,” said South. This competition will allow the students to show off their dedication to the French language for the past four years.