York Revolution opens in the Atlantic League with special promotions

The York Revolutions kicked off the 2013 Atlantic League opening game at the Sovereign Bank Stadium in York against the Bridgeport Bluefish with a loss of 1-0 on Thursday, April 18.

Photo by: Matthew Witkovskyhttp://aviewfrommyseat.com/m/photo/6815/Sovereign+Bank+Stadium/section-10/row-H/seat-4/
A home game at the Sovereign Bank Stadium in York is shown in the photo above. 

Over the weekend, three games were played, incorporating some special surprises for spectators. On Saturday in a rematch against the Bluefish (2-1 win), the children’s league’s opening day was held earlier in the day, and after the rematch post game fireworks were fired.

On Sunday, two rematch games were played (one win 13-1 and one loss 5-3, both against Bridgeport) and featured pre-game autograph sessions and a post game of kids running the bases.

Senior Thomas Shaffer, who enjoys the baseball team, shared his enthusiastic view of the Rev’s opening ceremonies.

“I was flabbergasted at the first loss. I feel that number 23 [Nick Green] could have performed better,” said Shaffer. “All the extra things they do before and after the games like the fireworks and letting people, like myself, run the bases are all I look forward to in life. Baseball is rad.”

During the summer, the Revolution holds baseball camps for kids focusing on skills for beginners through advanced players. This camp is two days at the Sovereign Bank Stadium and is instructed by a ] York Revolution player. Age groups are separated by two years, and each group is instructed and plays at different times.

In addition to the normal game schedules after the opening, the Revolution team holds special promotions and events. Events coming up include baseball bingo on April 21, Pizza Hut night on May 1, and an appearance from Ironman just in time for the new movie release  on May 2.

All in all, attending these events not only involve watching a major game, but also cater to some lucky, willing fans and spectators.