Quentin vs Greinke: Who is to blame?

A brawl broke out between San Diego Padre Carlos Quentin  and Los Angeles Dodger Zack Greinke on Thursday, April 11.

Photo by: Dirk Hansen (Wikimedia Commons). Los Angeles Dodger Matt Kemp was ejected during the game for participating in the fight between Greinke and Quentin.

In the top of the sixth inning the Dodgers led the Padres 2-1, with San Diego having Quentin up to bat with a 3-2 count. The next pitch, Greinke beamed Quentin in the upper arm leading into a bench-clearing brawl. As a result, Dodgers Matt Kemp, Jerry Hairston Jr., and Zack Greinke, along with Padres Carlos Quentin were all ejected from the game. Greinke left with a fractured left collarbone.

Photo by: Dirk Hansen (Wikimedia Commons). San Diego Padre, Carlos Quentin, is suspended for eight games following the bench-clearing brawl against LA Dodger, Zack Greinke.

Quentin blamed the start of the fight on comments that Greinke made after the pitch was thrown. However, Greinke was defended by teammates looking for a suspension for the Padre outfielder.

Although pitchers are normally to blame in situations like this one, this time is a little different.

The argument that Greinke hit Quentin on purpose is highly debated because with a 3-2 count and only a one-run lead, the Dodgers giving the Padres a free base runner is highly unlikely.

The Los Angeles Dodgers manager, Don Mattingly, gives his opinion on the matter.

“That shows zero understanding of the game of the baseball. He’s not throwing at him at 3-2 in a 2-1 game,” said Mattingly, according to bleacherreport.com.

Over the off-season, Greinke was signed to a six-year $147 million contract, making the loss of him in the rotation a huge one. Greinke’s first start this season against the Pittsburgh Pirates was a success, allowing zero runs on two hits, pitching 6.1 innings with six strikeouts in a 3-0 win. The loss of Greinke is sure to hurt the Dodger organization, especially with the constant struggle of right-handed Josh Beckett in the rotation.

Quentin did not appeal his 8-game suspension and is currently riding out his eight games, while Greinke is out eight weeks after undergoing surgery on his fractured collarbone.

With tensions high, the series between the Dodgers and the Padres going on now is sure to attract a lot of opinions on the situation.

Sources:
www.bleacherreport.com/