Susquehannock Plans for Winter Sports

October 28, 2020

Editor’s Note: Southern York County School District announced via email on Nov. 19, 2020 that the 2020-20201 winter sports season will be delayed until Tuesday, Dec.1, 2020 due to the Department of Health’s extended mandate for all athletes to wear masks at all times, even during competition. This is in light of the increase of COVID-19 cases occurring across the Commonwealth.

With winter sports approaching, there have been growing concerns over the possibilities of student athletes playing.

To many, fall sports have been an overall success, as district playoffs begins Oct.31.

While fall sports are doing well as far as cancellations of games, winter brings a different set of problems.

Not only does the winter bring colder weather, but all sports in the winter are played indoors, increasing the risk of contracting COVID-19.

COVID-19 case numbers spiking in Pennsylvania does not help to ease concerns regarding the situation.

A lot of the protocols for winter sports will mirror those of the fall sports, including: spectators are only allowed at home games, two spectators are allowed per student athlete and every student will have their temperature checked before games.

There are still current discussions among athletic directors in the county for further protocols for the different challenges the winter will bring

Athletic director Brad Keeney takes the situation seriously.

“There is still a lot up in the air right now,” said Keeney. “We are still trying to find the balance that would allow our students to play while also doing it safely.”

However, Keeney wants students to know he is working diligently to ensure sports are played this winter.

My number one job is to make sure our student athletes get a season

— Brad Keeney

Senior Kadeem Stewart, who plans to play on the basketball team, is among those excited for their winter sports season.

“I pray they let us play [basketball] this year,” said Stewart. “I want to have fun with my boys.”

Parents, however, have growing concerns over their children playing with COVID-19 numbers spiking.

Tammy Williams is a mother of a seventh grader, and she is not sold on the idea of her son playing basketball this winter.

“I don’t even know if I want him to play with all this going on,” said Williams. “I know how bad he wants to play, but is him playing worth compromising his health or someone in our family?”

Questions like these are asked by many parents of guardians of student athletes.

The first day of practice for winter sports begin Nov. 18.