Susky theatre preparing Phantom: Sure to be a hit

The Susky theatre group will perform the musical “The Phantom of the Opera” by writer Gaston Leroux this spring.  There are high expectations for this performance since Susky has been quite successful over the past years with its plays and musicals they have put on for the community.    During the 2011-2012 school year, Susky theatre performed the play Is He Dead? and the musicals Xanadu and  Thoroughly Modern Millie.  The play A Midsummer Night’s Dream was put on during the 2012-2013 school year.  Susky Theatre has gone to the Rosies, which is an award show for high school theatre students that show great skill in their plays and/or musicals.  There are performances from all the schools that attend as well as a ceremony in which the Rosies are awarded to the students.

Last year, Susky theatre students performed a scene from Thoroughly Modern Millie.  Our school won the “Best Female Performance,” which went to senior Courtney Reed for her rendition of  “Only in New York” in Millie.  With that being said, Susky will be attending the Rosies again this year.  They will perform a musical number from The Phantom of the Opera.  This year, however, the Rosies’ name has been changed to Encore and will take place on April 21 at Central York High School, according to Daily Record reporter Erin McCraken.  The theatre cast and crew have been working very hard to put together The Phantom of the Opera by memorizing lines, creating costumes, and designing sets.  The experienced cast and crew working on the show will help to make preparing for this show a little easier, especially since they know the routine.  They know what they have to do to make the presentation of the musical intriguing and memorable.  With the talented actors and actresses,  the technically savvy crew, and the awards from past years, Susky Theatre will be able to prepare a show stopping musical this spring.

Sources:

-http://www.zvents.com/york_pa/events/show/84936962-rosies-high-sch-theater-awards

-http://www.flipsidepa.com/entertainment/ci_22326579/york-county-high-school-theater-awards-renamed-encore