Trains, Clocks, and An Automaton

Quirky Hugo Cabret,  played by Asa Butterfield in the movie Hugo released in 2011, spends a surprising amount of his time sleeping in the walls of a train station and tending to clocks.

By Studio Lévy and Sons (Studio Lévy & fils) [2] ([1]) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons      In 1895 a steam train derailed and crashed through the station to the outside, causing the whole Gare Montparnasse to be rebuilt. This event is connected to the movie when Hugo has a nightmare, and he causes the train to derail because he falls onto the tracks.

Based off the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which was published on March 30, 2007, the movie takes place in the mechanical age, adding a creepy atmosphere,  especially with its focus on Hugo’s father’s automaton (a device made to imitate a human).

The old vintage, earth-colored outfits do not create a happy tone, but they do not exactly create a dark one either. It puts the audience in a place where they are unsure of what type of  event to expect next. At the same time, the movie was successful in referring back to the 1930’s time period without exaggerating it.

The book was the first in the award category to receive the Caldecott Medal, a medal to point out ‘distinguished picture books for children.’ The movie was produced by Graham King, Timothy Headington, Martin Scorsese, and Johnny Depp and was directed by Martin Scorsese.

While he lives alone in the walls of a Paris train station, Gare Montparnasse,  during the 1930’s, Hugo passes time by fixing the clocks while staying hidden from the guards.

If he were ever caught, he would be sent to an orphanage since his dad had died in a museum fire years ago. He also is wanted by the guards for stealing items at the stalls in the station because he has no money of his own to spend.

During the latter, Hugo has come across the old automaton his father was working on before his passing. Determined to finish the automaton, he steals parts from the station’s toy shop.

Consequently, the man running the shop, played by Ben Kingsley, catches Hugo stealing from him and takes what Hugo treasures most: his father’s notebook on the automaton.

In order to get it back, Hugo pursues the old man. Eventually, he discovers that the old man was a famous film maker that had created the movies Hugo’s father would take him to go see.

During WWI, the famous film maker was pushed out of his career as people lost interest in his movies. Haunted by past memories, Hugo becomes determined to bring the man’s movies back to popularity.

During the movie, historical events are tied in. For example, in 1895 a steam train derailed and crashed through the station to the outside, causing the whole Gare Montparnasse to be rebuilt. This event is connected to the movie when Hugo has a nightmare, and he causes the train to derail because he falls onto the tracks.

Details such as these help connect the movie to the past, maintaining an enjoyable, family fun environment. The movie is an exciting adventure that will keep the audience’s attention, always wondering what happens next.