We watch it for the politics…right?

Demo and Repub
A brief summary of the two conventions.

Delegates and supporters flocked to Florida and North Carolina over the past few weeks to watch the presidential candidates announce their nominations with confetti and speeches, but the usefulness of the conventions has been drawn into question by members of the Susquehannock community.

During the conventions, nominees and other officials made speeches and laid the groundwork for their political views, or platforms. The Republican National Convention (RNC) took place at the Tampa Bay Times forum in Tampa Bay Florida from August 27-30, while the Democratic National Convention (DNC) ran from September 4-6 at the Bank of America stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The conventions required a significant number of volunteers and planning but drew huge crowds; around 50,000 people attended the republican convention according to the RNC’s official website. Online and television viewers ranged somewhere in the millions.

A few, such as teacher Kimberly Johnson of the history department, wonder if the conventions are truly worth the effort.

“The conventions are old-fashioned. A century ago, it was considered ungentlemanly for a candidate to campaign,” said Johnson. “…You had a convention so you could hear that person for the first time.” Now, Johnson thinks technology has closed the gap. “[Citizens are able to] seek out a different channel [such as] websites and a new source you can trust,” said Johnson.

Teacher Joe Dominick, also of the history department, concurs. “I do think they were more relevant in the past,” said Dominick. “In today’s politics, we kn[e]w that Mitt Romney and Barrack Obama where the candidates weeks and months ago,” said Dominick. “It takes all the steam out of what the point of the conventions were.”

Obama vs Romney
A comparison of the candidates position’s on general issues.

Senior Caroline Vesper watched only one speaker—ex-president Bill Clinton.

Vesper said, “[I watched] because he is a good speaker.”

Some may question whether the $2.3 million spent on the DNC is worth it. Johnson compared the conventions to “pageant[s]” and  Dominick referred to them as “pep rallies.”

Dominick agreed with  Johnson again.

“Given the primary system we have today, I think they are pointless. They’ve decided who the candidate was a long time ago,” explained Dominick.

Senior Heidi Stevenson watched both conventions and has a different opinion. “I wanted to be informed about this year’s election and [the candidates] stances on the issues,” said Stevenson. “You could find the information somewhere else, but it was helpful to see it right there in front of you. [The conventions] get people at a place that they are; they get them on their couches. A lot of people…don’t have time to go over to the computer and research all the issues…they’re just going [to want] to flip on their TV.”

WSOC–TV, a news station in Charlotte, NC, estimates that the convention brought around $150 million to the area in tourism, a clear benefit, regardless of the convention’s national impact.

Sources:

http://www.gopconvention2012.com/
http://www.demconvention.com/