Susquehannock’s 7th annual college fair helps students make the best choice

The 7th annual Susquehannock College Fair was held in the high school cafeteria on March 20th.

Out of approximately 60 colleges attending the fair, some of them included: Bucknell University, Eastern University, Stevenson University, McDaniel College, Messiah College, Lebanon Valley College, Art Institute of York, Empire Beauty School, Baltimore School of Massage, and the U.S. Army and U.S. Naval Academy.

Photo By: By Tomwsulcer (Own work) [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons. Many colleges, such as Bucknell Univerity, recently visited for the college fair.

Guidance counselor Rosa Baer, the organizer of the college fair, knows how important the fair is to students looking into different colleges.

“The college fair gives students a chance to visit and see colleges in a short period of time,” said Baer. “Juniors get a chance to complete their field experiences for the graduation project, and seniors that are late in deciding what college they want to attend get a chance to meet local college representatives.”

On the March 19, students were able to attend a meeting during the advisory period that will help them get prepared for the college fair. The meeting will give them a synopsis of each college and tips for attending the fair.

Tips for Planning for a College Fair

The first step in tackling a college fair is the preparation that comes before even going in to the fair. Planning before one goes is very important in managing time while there.

Research the colleges that are attending the fair. Doing this will help one have some background knowledge on which colleges they are looking to attend.

Second, have an outfit prepared that will give the colleges a good first impression. Tattered jeans and just a t-shirt are not good college fair items; try wearing nice pants or even a skirt. Also, create an email account that will be just for college emails. Having this email account proves to the colleges that you are serious about college and that you are organized.

A final task to accomplish in preparation for the college fair is to make self-stick labels that help one fill out inquiry cards given by a college much quicker. The labels should include: legal name, mailing address, graduation year, and intended area of study.

While at the college fair, it is important to talk to the colleges or universities that one is interested in the most first. Look at the floor map given, and find where the interested colleges are first. This will help you to go through the college fair quicker, and then one may even have enough time to visit more colleges at the end.

Questions should be prepared before the fair so that one can get straight to the point with the colleges. This will show that one is prepared and organized and is serious about that college. Again, first impressions are important.

While the representatives for the college are answering the questions asked, take notes. It is impossible to remember every answer that a college gave you, especially if one talked to multiple colleges. Take the business card of the spokesperson of that college, this will help in contacting that college in the future.

Many colleges will host information sessions to help in filling out applications and will give meetings on financial aid which will help in deciding to commit to a college. Going to these meetings will help one see the financial side of college and how to save as much money as possible.

The most important factor in succeeding at a  college fair is following up with colleges after the fair itself. Once one is interested in different colleges, keep in touch through emails and phone calls to continue the process with your choice institutions.

http://www.classesandcareers.com/education/2011/03/22/tips-for-attending-spring-college-fairs/