Students Spread Holiday Cheer

By Evelyn Weldon, Reporter

Student council is accepting gifts for the Southern Community Services through their Project E.L.V.E.S. program. 

A tree like this one is in the lobby with ornaments stating what gifts are needed. Photograph by Lotus Head from Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)]
Project E.L.V.E.S. is a program that student council runs to collect donations for families in need who don’t have the resources to have a traditional Christmas. 

Needed gifts are written on ornaments in the tree in the auditorium lobby; all gifts must be unwrapped and then can dropped off in room 207 or in the office.

This program will last until Dec. 5.

Sophomore Student Council president Megan Stiffler hopes competition will help raise more money.

“This year, instead of doing homeroom competitions, we are doing first period because students are in their first period class more than homeroom, so if the first period class raises the most money, they will get a hot chocolate social,”  said Stiffler. 

File:Italy-Italia Toys bambolotti PxT.JPG
Toys such as these will be donated for Project E.L.V.E.S.. Photograph by Paolo*torino [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)]
According to student council advisor Kellin McCullough, student council has a new goal for the school year.

“We would like to raise three thousand dollars and just a ton of toys and clothes for families in need in Southern York County,” said McCullough.We usually raise about 2,500 dollars and then just boxes and boxes of goods. So we would like to raise $3,000 this year.” 

There will be ornaments like these on the tree saying what toys they still need.  Photograph courtesy of The Susquehannock Courier News Staff

All the proceeds will go towards to the Southern Community Services. 

Sophomore student council vice president Tyler Elliott talks about how this project has impacted her.

It made me realize that there are people in need close to home, and we should do everything we can to help them,” said Elliott. 

Student council hopes the project will open people’s eyes to what gift giving is all about.