A Spotlight on Safespace

The after-school club known as Safespace has been existing without mainstream attention since its inception in September, which is disappointing as it has a premise worth looking into.
Safespace’s objective is a purely altruistic one. On the second Tuesday of every month, its members convene in the library and wait expectantly for students to come share his or her problems relating to the bias and stigma existing around the school that is associated with judging others based upon one trait- different sexual orientations.
The group aims to create an alliance between those of all sexual orientations, attempting to create a more open-minded and safe environment for all, according to the group’s advisor, English teacher Sara Cieslewicz.
“When we say alliance we mean a universal acceptance of others and their differences. It shouldn’t really matter what a person’s sexual orientation is in order for you to treat them with respect and as a fellow human being,” said Cieslewicz.
Cieslewicz has had friends in college who were the target of bullying based upon their sexual orientation, and she explained how unnecessarily upsetting it was.
“I was one of the few friends to accept them for who they were,  to rally,  and to verbally defend them,” said Cieslewicz. “People are always afraid of what they don’t understand or are unfamiliar with- it’s all based on fear.”
The group tries to be receptive and to give advice and consolation, allowing the club to live up to its name.
President Bailey Tice details a major boost for the club.
“[Safespace is] the most open-minded club in the entire place,”  Tice says. “Anyone who doesn’t feel like they have a friend to talk to [should go].”
Apparently most students at Susquehannock have plenty of friends to talk to as the club is limited in attendance to its founding members. This is partly due to its lack of advertising.   Cieslewicz explains how the group currently focuses on ways to gain the school’s attention.
“[The members] meet, they talk about their objectives, how to get the word out, [and] what they’ll try to accomplish,” Cieslewicz said. “They’re creating movies right now to be put on… Warrior TV. They’re creating ads and fundraisers to raise awareness.”
Safespace is an innovative club with an unrecognized potential. It resides, now, as a tiny monthly school hangout – but all it needs is a little attention, and it could be a phenomenon of kindness.