Meet the Snow King Candidates

By Anna Feild, Arts & Entertainment/Features Editor

As the Mini-THON approaches, there are many activities that students can participate in to support the Four Diamonds Fund.

One of these activities is the Snow King competition.

Six seniors and six juniors are competing for the coveted Snow King crown by collecting monetary donations and canned goods.

The money donations will be going towards the Four Diamonds Fund, and the canned goods will be going towards Southern York County Food Pantry.

If you’re unsure of who to support, each of the candidates are profiled below.

Michael Boampong – Senior

• Anna Feild
    Senior Michael Boampong is running for Snow King because he enjoys helping people. Photograph  by Anna Feild
    • What activities are you involved in?
      • “Currently, I’ve been involved with Aevidum, track and field, Mini-THON and also Big Buddy.”
    • Why are you running for Snow King?
      • “I’m running for Snow King because I feel like raising money and cans towards a good cause is a really good idea, and I was always on board with the idea of helping others.”
    • What is your favorite part of being a Snow King candidate?
      • “I mean, I have to say the crown, obviously; I really want the crown. But also, just knowing that no matter who wins or who loses, we all raised a bunch of money and cans towards our donation.”
    • How do you hope to help your community by participating?
      • “I hope to show anybody, juniors and seniors, that you can do anything. Like, you can run for Snow King, you can run for anything that you want to do. You don’t need to be a certain type of person or type of character, you can do it because that’s your passion.”
    • How do you feel about the competition between the candidates?
      • “I feel like this year’s competition is actually really good. Like, I feel like last year it was just people being put into it, but this year I feel like people actually want to be candidates and actually want to win. So it’s a little stressful, but at the same time it’s good competition, so that’s what I’m glad about.” 

Dan Poole – Senior

• Anna Feild
    Senior Dan Poole thinks that Snow King is a fun, friendly competition that also helps children with cancer. Photograph by Anna Feild
    • What activities are you involved in?
      • “Activities that I’m involved in include theatre, choir, Chanticleer, Tri-M Honors Society and International Thespian Society.”
    • Why are you running for Snow King?
      • “I am running for Snow King not only because it’s a fun, friendly competition, but also because it’s for the kids. We want to raise money and raise all that we can for kids with cancer because at that age, they really should not be going through something like that; it’s really devastating. So for me personally, I’m running because I want to help the kids as much as possible.”
      • “My favorite part about being a Snow King candidate is definitely running against other students because it’s really fun just to have that little competition, but most importantly, it’s for the kids. We’re trying to help them and research and get a cure as fast as possible.”
      • “I hope to help my community by participating by, you know, we want to raise money for the kids, and because it’s a friendly competition, and I just want to help the community out as much as possible by raising funds for the kids.”
      • “I think it’s pretty close right now. You know, as long as I can beat the sports kids, that’s all that matters to me. No offence to the sports kids, but I think the arts are going to shine this one down.”

Jasper Rowe – Senior

• Anna Feild
    Senior Jasper Rowe is running for Snow King to help children struggling with cancer and also inspire minority students. Photograph by Anna Feild
    • What activities are you involved in?
      • “In the school, I am involved in marching band and a lot of other music related ensembles. I’m in the orchestra and the band, and I’ve been in indoor drumline for four years.”
    • Why are you running for Snow King?
      • “I’m really running for Snow King to help the kids, obviously. Cancer has been a huge detriment in my life; I’ve lost family members and friends to a horrible disease. I also really wanted to inspire people because I’m the first transgender Snow King, like the first person who’s running at least, and I just really want to inspire minority kids in this school, that they can achieve just as much.”
      • “I definitely just love the idea that I am a part of this, that I get to be a part of helping all of these people.”
      • “I definitely hope to raise a lot of money for kids, and I really just think that helping finding a cure for cancer can benefit everybody.”
      • “I think it’s a great competition. I’m going up against some of my best friends, and may the best man win.”

Trevor Leuba – Senior

• Anna Feild
    Senior Trevor Leuba hopes to spread awareness and raise as much money and as many canned goods as he can by running for Snow King. Photograph by Anna Feild
    • What activities are you involved in?
      • “I’m involved with swimming; I’ve been swimming for three years. I’m on the Courier staff…, and I’m also one of the lead people in Tech Shed.”
    • Why are you running for Snow King?
      • “I’m running for Snow King because I think it’s important to raise awareness about childhood cancer. It’s a very good cause, and I just want to help out any way I can.”
      • “I just think like, almost the competition. It’s all a good benefit in the end, so I think it’s just fun to try to earn the most.”
      • “I really hope I can just get as many canned goods or money just to help donate and spread awareness, but also just donate.”
      • “It’s just in good fun. I think it’s a great way to add a competitive nature to a good cause.”

Shane Watson – Senior

• Anna Feild
    Senior Shane Watson felt like participating in a whole school activity such as Snow King is an obligation as a senior, and he also thinks it is a good, charitable thing to do. Photograph by Anna Feild
    • What activities are you involved in?
      • “I’m involved with choir, theatre, and the select ensemble in choir – Chanticleer – as well as Best Buds, and I senior aide for Mrs. Lehigh with the Yes class.”
    • Why are you running for Snow King?
      • “I’m running for Snow King because first of all, I’m a senior, so I feel like it’s kind of an obligation to do something like this and be a part of a whole school activity and everything. I’m also running because it’s a really, really good, charitable thing to do for Four Diamonds and kids with cancer and all of that. I just want to remind everyone that no matter who wins, the donations that we receive – both money and food – go to Four Diamonds Fund [and local food pantries] and it’s a good donation for them. And thirdly, it’s just fun to do it.”
      • “I think my favorite part is being able to come up with all of the creative box ideas and everything. The pep rally is obviously going to be pretty fun and participating in all of those activities. I don’t know, I think it’s just fun; it’s different. I find it fun to donate to everybody, and I find it fun, like it’s a friendly competition between everybody. I think that’s pretty cool.”
      • “I hope to help my community by just getting as many donations that I can, plain and simple.”
      • “They all stink! No, they don’t; they’re all wonderful people. I’m not going to be upset with whatever outcome, whether it’s I’m Snow King or someone else is. Either way, it’s going to be something fun that we all can participate in.”

Christian Collins – Senior

• Anna Feild
    Senior Christian Collins is running for Snow King because he feels it’s a good cause and he wants to prove to himself that he can achieve something. Photograph by Anna Feild
    • What activities are you involved in?
      • “Cross country, track, tennis at the moment, chess club, and NHS.”
    • Why are you running for Snow King?
      • “I’m running for Snow King because one, I think it’s a great cause, and I’m definitely a fan of raising money for charities. Also, there’s a little bit of personal in it because it’s more so me going ‘hey, if I really tried, could I win something? Could I win an event?’ If you put it like that, it seems really depressing. It’s like, you know, just want to see if I can do it.”
      • “There’s a lot of stuff about Snow King candidate that’s okay. I’m not particularly a massive fan of candidate because it’s very stressful because I keep going ‘gotta figure out how to get more cans, gotta figure out how to get more stuff.’ Other than that, though, it’s pretty normal.”
      • “Oh, I definitely hope that we’ll be able to give the community the most cans, as well as the most money, just because- even if I don’t win, I want to put up a really good showing. At the very least, I want it to be like ‘hey, I’m glad he ran for Snow King because he got us like a thousand cans or something, even if he didn’t win.’ And that’d be great, I’d like that.”
      • “I think it’s okay. I don’t think anything’s particularly changed… Everyone’s pretty okay, I would say. No complaints. Solid competition all around.”

Connor Kernan – Junior

• What activities are you involved in?
    • “I play football and lacrosse.”
  • Why are you running for Snow King?
    • “I am running for Snow King because it’s a good foundation – Four Diamonds – and I’m trying to make any impact I can to help a good cause.”
    • “My favorite part is just trying to help out the kids who need it and pretty much do whatever we can to help their lives in a time when they need it.”
    • “I just hope to help raise money and canned goods, and not just myself but everybody else running to raise as much as they can to help.”
    • “I feel – as long as I beat Nolan Holloway – that’s the main goal is to beat Nolan. But I’d like to win the whole thing.”                

Henry Rohlfs – Junior

• What activities are you involved in?
    • “I’m involved in sports; I play football and baseball.”
  • Why are you running for Snow King?
    • “I want to raise money for a good cause.”
    • “Once again, just raising money, I think it’s a good thing. I wanna raise as much money to support awareness.”
    • “Once again, just making as much money as possible, and trying to raise money and spread awareness.”
    • “I think it’s really not about the competition;I’m not really into winning. I just want to raise money and have a good time doing it.”

Garrian Phanhthy – Junior

• Anna Feild
    Junior Garrian Phanthy is running for Snow King to help the kids while also making friends. Photograph by Anna Feild
    • What activities are you involved in?
      • “I am involved in theatre, football, the Link Crew program, wrestling and the Big Buddy program.”
    • Why are you running for Snow King?
      • “I thought it would be fun to try and get more friends and just support kids and help them through cancer.”
      • “I guess it’s kind of the popularity: getting more friends and supporters just because I haven’t really been a popular person, and now people talk to me more, so it’s nice.”
      • “I hope to raise money for kids with cancer because it’s unfortunate for someone so young to not really have a chance, but raising hope like this just really helps the community and makes people want to help.”
      • “I feel like there’s gonna be some definite winners and some that are definitely going to win by a landslide, and others who don’t really have much of a chance, but it’s a pretty healthy competition.”

Brock Hofler – Junior

• Anna Feild
    Junior Brock Hofler hopes to help ease the stress on families of buying food or affording cancer treatments by running for Snow King. Photograph by Anna Feild
    • What activities are you involved in?
      • “For the school, I do football, wrestling and track and field. Outside of school, I don’t really do too much, but if someone needs help and I see it, I’ll go and help them. Like with all my neighbors in my neighborhood, I shovel driveways, and it’s just nice I guess because they’re all older.”
    • Why are you running for Snow King?
      • “I’m running because I believe it’s helpful for people. Like, the canned goods go to a good cause; it helps a lot of local people who can’t afford all of the food, and the money goes to kids with cancer – the Four Diamonds Fund – and it’s just a good cause in general.”
      • “Just walking past the boxes and seeing how much everyone tries to participate and how much the school has come together to give money and food and canned goods and other non-perishable goods to good causes.”
      • “I hope that it makes people feel like, it eases the stress of getting food because of the food cans, and I hope that for families that can’t afford cancer payments, that the money helps with that also.”
      • “I believe that it’s a good competition. There’s no one that’s really far ahead, and we’re all pretty even right now, and all of the boxes look really cool, so that’s nice to just walk by and just see all of them.”

Cody McCredie – Junior

• Anna Feild
    Junior Cody McCredie is running for Snow King to help spread awareness and help those who are in need. Photograph by Anna Feild
    • What activities are you involved in?
      • “I do sports such as cross country and track.”
    • Why are you running for Snow King?
      • “I feel like it’s a good cause, and just to support those in need [who are struggling] with cancer and food.”
      • “Just raising awareness for those who need it, kids who have cancer.”
      • “Once again, just raise awareness and donations. It’s a good cause.”
      • “I feel like the competition is good because it brings in more donations, and everybody wants to win so they’re going to try harder to get more food and money.”

Nolan Holloway – Junior

• What activities are you involved in?
    • “Just some soccer and some basketball.”
  • Why are you running for Snow King?
    • “To spread awareness of childhood cancer.”
    • “My favorite part is watching all the donations roll in and the total amount [raised] to help childhood cancer.”
    • “By spreading awareness and helping people in the hospital get out and make it out okay and make it home.”
    • “I feel like it’s a little upscale right now. Brock’s winning. I’m storming; I can come back.”

The candidates are accepting  donations in the form of money and canned goods until Feb. 22, and the Snow King will be crowned at a pep rally for the Mini-THON on March 1; Mini-THON will take place on March 8.