Clemson Takes the Bragging Rights Against Alabama

Clemson+player+rushing+onto+their+field+

Clemson player rushing onto their field

By Lucas Dimler, Reporter

The Clemson Tigers versus the Alabama Crimson Tide was a shocking game to say the least.

The build up to this game was not great because Clemson and Alabama have played in big games against each other the last three years.

They played each other in two other national championships and a college football playoff game.  Clemson won one of national championships, and Alabama won the other national championship game, and the playoff game.  According to CBS Sports, in the first quarter, there were touchdowns back to back and pick sixes that led to 27 combined points in the first quarter.

After the first quarter, Clemson just kept rolling by scoring 17 points in the second quarter from quarterback Trevor Lawrence throwing touchdown passes.

Also, Alabama’s defense looked gassed in the second quarter as Lawrence led Clemson down the field every time he got the ball.

On Alabama’s offensive side, their star quarterback Tua Tagovailoa looked flushed because of Clemson’s defense led by their defensive coordinator Brent Venables and defensive star Clelin Ferrell.

Clemson’s defense was getting pressure on Alabama’s quarterback, and it made him force passes which resulted in Clemson getting turnovers.

Throughout the second half, Clemson freshman receiver Justyn Ross went off by getting six catches for 153 yards and a touchdown.  

Also, in the third quarter, Clemson controlled Alabama in the run with Travis Etienne running all over the Alabama defense, getting 86 yards and two touchdowns.

In the fourth quarter, there was no life left in Alabama, and Clemson took over winning the game 44-16.

Clemson fans rush the field after beating Alabama in the national championship game. Photograph by J1n9 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], from Wikimedia Commons
The most shocking thing about this game was Alabama’s coach Nick Saban had no answer for Clemson.

Nick Saban is the greatest college football coach of all time, and it was uncharacteristic to see his team get blown out in the championship game.

This is Alabama’s head coach Nick Saban. Photograph by Beasley Allen Law Firm [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Throughout the season, Alabama was crushing teams by margins of 20 points and Bama came into the game a 6 point favorite and got beat by 28 points.

Also, it as surprising to see how sloppy Bama was with two fumbles, two interceptions, a missed extra point and penalties for 60 yards.

One take away from the game is Clemson is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Clemson has a star freshman quarterback in Lawrence because he showed guts in that championship game by standing in that pocket against Alabama and threw dimes on Nick Saban’s defense.

Also, freshman receiver Justyn Ross has bright future after an impressive showing against Alabama backfield and making an amazing one handed catch on the sideline.

Another reason is Clemson’s defense is ridiculous with their destructive defensive line and great defensive coordinator Venables.

The main reason Clemson sustained success and will keep rolling is because of great head coach Dabo Swinney; he cares for his players and has them believing in the process.

This is Clemson’s coach, Dabo Swinney. Photograph by LambeauLeap80 [CC BY-SA 4.0(https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], from Wikimedia Commons