York Fair continues tradition

The Farm performs on the 107.7 Great Country stage: Up and coming country band The Farm performed Friday night. Photo by: Ashleigh Sharland

From Styx to Blake Shelton, each year the performers at the York Fair continue to deliver. This year’s artists included Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, Easton Corbin, Allstar Weekend, Jeff Dunham, and many more. Considering the size of York and the surrounding area, the York Fair has consistently had big names each year. Last year’s artists included Big Time Rush, Toby Keith, Eric Church, Greyson Chance, Cody Simpson, and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. The fair claims to be the oldest in the country, beginning in 1765.

However, it’s only been over the past couple of decades, that they have begun to get big names to come play each year. Included at the fair are multiple free stages aside from the Toyota Grandstand. But the York Fair isn’t all about music. Susky senior Kat Stewart has been going to the York Fair since she was little with her mom. My favorite part was “[seeing] my crafts that I put in the fair and placed… I love just walking around and seeing the vendors,” said Stewart. Year after year thousands gather for the ten day event, which occurred September 7- 16 this year. Upon arrival, anyone can enjoy an exotic petting zoo, which featured a baby giraffe and zebra this year.

Guests had the opportunity to pay five dollars to feed the many animals featured in the exotic petting zoo.
Photo By: Ashleigh Sharland

As far as games, there is something for everyone. From throwing a ball to get bingo at “I Got It,” to guessing what number a wheel will land on, the variety of games is sure to please. Special Education teacher Tom Laure knows this better than most. “We now have two children, [ages] five and three, and they love the animals, rides and games,” said Laure. The overall experience of the York Fair has been and will continue to be a tradition among many York County residents.

Sources:

http://www.yorkfair.org/grandstand.htm