Women on front lines

Wynter Graybill and Darneshea Weber are just two of the women impacted by the ban being lifted.The military removed the ban on women in frontline combat roles, furthering women’s progress in not only the military, but also in the civilian world on Thursday, January 24th.

The military removed the ban on women in frontline combat roles, furthering women’s progress in not only the military, but also in the civilian world on Thursday, January 24th.

According to Fox News, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said that women are an “integral part” of the military. Women in the military are willing to not only go into battle to defend their nation, but most are also willing to fight on front lines.
Wynter Graybill, a Susky senior enlisted in the Navy, shared some of her opinions on the act.
“If a woman can do the same thing that a man can and go through the [same] training, she should be allowed [on front-lines],” said Graybill.
Although women have these views, Graybill worries that men will respond negatively to the ban being lifted.
“I don’t think they’ll react as positively as women will. Men feel like it’ll hinder their efforts,” said Graybill.
Darneshea Weber, another senior enlisted in the Navy, believes that men in the military will respect women more for being involved in front-lines. However, she also noted that some other sectors of the military may be hesitant.
They argue that most women would not be able to lift them out of the line of fire.
Another argument is that women are too weak to handle grisly warfare.
“ The special forces- I could see that as more of a problem,” said Weber, “ [Male special operatives] see that it’s their jobs. [It’s] more male oriented.”
Male operatives hesitate to allow women on the front lines. They have trained for years for that special position, so they might think that women are infiltrating their field.
In addition, the traditional view is that women are the weaker gender. To allow women on front lines is to make the statement that women are equal to men.
However, women would go through the same training. They would have to meet the requirements that other men would have to in order to be fighting on the front lines.
Although Graybill and Weber have concerns about men opposing the ban being lifted, they did not consider a woman being against the act.
Deb Dominick, a Susky history teacher, did have an opposing stance.
“ I’m old-fashioned, [so] I just think that women are good at other things that they should focus on,” said Dominick.
Some of Dominick’s reasons address issues that would occur in the military with the lifted ban.
“[It] will put them in more danger…[and] more close physical contact with men,” Dominick said. “It’s asking for trouble.”
Graybill is certain that “[women] can put their foot forward [now].”
Dominick agrees.  “It’s a sign of change,” said Dominick. “ Not all change is progress. I worry about the American family. Dads can make great dads, but I don’t think they make great mothers,” said Dominick. “I just think that the role of mother needs to be filled.”
Weber, disagrees, though, saying that it is a step forward.
“ I think it’s starting to even the balance because the military is about having freedom for all. It’s what they stand for,” said Weber.
Even if Americans have different opinions on the issue, it is expected that women will take advantage of the opportunity to defend their nation.

Source:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/24/panetta-opens-combat-roles-to-women/

Wynter Graybill and Darneshea Weber are future members of the Navy.