What Not to Wear

Junior Kayla Pugh and senior Kira Miller in painting. Photo by: Caitlin Garrett

The school’s dress code is not normally formally brought up, but it’s something that students need to be more aware of.
Wearing what the dress code prohibits is disrespectful to the school and those around you.

Most students do not want to see other’s undergarments from clothing that is open-backed, see through, or too small.

Assistant Principal Dr. Kimberly Adkins is part of the administration board that takes part in enforcing the dress code policy  and explained that the dress code is really not that harsh.

“The dress code here is probably mid-range,” said Adkins. “I’ve checked the other dress code policies near here, our policy is in alignment with the other schools around here.”

The dress code, found on page 27 of the school’s planner, explains what type of clothing is not permitted in school:

• Tube tops, halter tops, tops that expose midriff, sports bras, low-cut blouses, or muscle shirts.
  • Tank tops that do not meet the “3-finger rule.”
  • Clothing and jewelry displaying slogans/pictures that suggest the use of alcohol, drugs, obscene language, lewd or illegal behavior, cults, gangs, inflammatory, discriminatory or harassing subjects, or weapons.
  • Hats, baseball caps, sunglasses, bandanas, hoods, and/or headdresses.
  • Bare feet
  • Transparent or immodest clothing that attracts undue attention.
  • Any clothing that presents a safety hazard or interferes with the educational process.
  • Coats and jackets must be kept in student lockers/closets throughout the day.
  • Faculty advisors or coaches of extracurricular activities are authorized to establish any additional dress or hair requirements.
  • Students may wear shorts of modest length.
  • No undergarments may be exposed at any time.

Clothing that contains inappropriate words, slogans, and pictures, are not only disrespectful to the administration, but also, students around you. Students come to school to learn and school should be taken seriously to benefit everyone in the future, making this type of clothing disruptive to the educational system.

Hats and bandannas are prohibited in the dress code a well. It’s polite to take off your hat as a sign of respect to authoritative figures, such as the teachers. After all, they’re here for the student’s own benefit.

If there are any questions about the dress code policy, anyone is welcome to speak with any person in administration, such as Adkins.