Southern York County: An Opprotunity to Volunteer

Throughout Southern York County there are a vast number of opportunities for high school students to step in and lend a helping hand.
Technology Education teacher Jack Stoneberg, who is the leader of Susquehannock’s community service club, explains the significance behind the group.
“Community service club is designed to let kids know about volunteer opportunities…the community is grateful for our help, and the students [come away from events] knowing they’re making a difference,” said Stoneberg.
Volunteering in the community has many benefits for both parties involved. For the volunteer, some benefits are the learning of a new skill, gaining a sense of achievement, receiving a boost in possible career options, and having the chance to meet new people.
Senior Patrick Morrison, a member of the community service club, describes why he has became involved in the club.
“Mr. Stoneberg told me about the club, and I thought it was a good fit for me as I already volunteered for my church,” said Morrison.
The simple volunteer work of a high school student could have a lifelong positive impact on the recipients and students. The community service club has impacted lives through their volunteer work at various churches, the Freedom Fest, the Paul Smith Library, and their involvement with Secret Santa.
Junior Bryan Kerr reiterates how volunteer work has a positive influence on the community.
“We go around and pick up trash sometimes which is a help to the community,” said Kerr.
According to the InYork site, volunteers are needed at the following places: H.O.P.E (Help for Oncology Problems and Emotional Support), Lutheran Social Services Shrewsbury, York County Area Agency On Aging, and various other organizations.
With so many open doors in Southern York County to volunteer, there is a great opportunity to make a positive impact on someone else’s life.