Susquehannock High School’s Logan McFadden Places in YMCA Long Course Nationals

August 31, 2018

Susquehannock High School junior Logan McFadden recently placed 2018 YMCA Long Course National Swimming Championships.

Susquehannock High School swimmer Logan McFadden recently placed at the 2018 YMCA Long Course National Swimming Championships at the University of Maryland in College Park, Maryland. McFadden, who is a junior at Susquehannock, swims for the Warriors and the York YMCA.

McFadden competed in five long distance events during the meet, which took place from July 30 through August 3, 2018. He placed higher than ever before at the national level, earning a  5th in the 800 free, 6th in the 1500 free, 8th in the 400 free, 10th in the 200 free, and 16th in 200 individual medley. It was his second time competing in the YMCA Long Course National Championships and his fourth time completing in YMCA National Swimming Championships overall. He plans to swim in the 2019 YMCA Short Course National Championships in April 2019 in Greensboro, North Carolina.

McFadden trains daily at the York YMCA before school and then returns to practice from 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. every evening in addition to 8:00 – 11:00 a.m. practices on Saturday mornings. He focuses on building upon his current successes and attributes his Susquehannock swim coach and teacher, Brian Wingert, for keeping him motivated. “Mr. Wingert definitely keeps me motivated to improve, and he is good to talk to because he really understands the sport of swimming,” McFadden said. Following high school, McFadden’s goal is to swim at a large Division 1 university.

Wingert praised McFadden on his accomplishments. “We are very proud of all of Logan’s accomplishments, for both Susquehannock High School and the YMCA team. He is a great athlete and a leader for our team,” said Wingert.   “He earns his own success as a result of hard work, and he consistently encourages his teammates to strive for excellence in their own training,” he said.

McFadden has only been swimming competitively for four and a half years, but he has been very successful in a short amount of time. “My advice to young swimmers is to stay motivated to improve and to work hard on your technique,” said McFadden. “But it is completely up to you if you want to succeed. It all comes down to how badly you want it,” he added.