Susquehannock High School Students Place in Holocaust Remembrance Essay Contest

June 14, 2018

From left, Susquehannock English teacher Tim Groth, Alexandra Marusko, Andrea Hebel, Holocaust Surivivor Howard Kaidanow, and Courtney Burgess.

Three Susquehannock High School students were recently awarded in the annual Holocaust Remembrance Day Essay Contest. The contest is held each year by the Yom HaShoah Committee of the York Jewish Community Center (JCC) as part of its Holocaust Remembrance Day events.

All York County high school students in grades 9 through 12 were eligible to participate in the essay contest. The Yom HaShoah Committee judged 22 entries from around the county, and all three finalists were Susquehannock High School students. Annie Hebel won first place, Courtney Burgess won second place, and AJ Marusko won third place.

Each of the students was awarded a cash prize and was honored at the Yom HaShoah Observance ceremony at the York JCC in York, PA. As winner of the contest, Hebel read her essay during the ceremony to several hundred people in attendance including several Holocaust survivors.

“Annie, Courtney, and AJ represented Susquehannock with incredible poise and maturity,” said Susquehannock teacher Tim Groth, who attended the ceremony. “They each wrote wonderful essays about the moral courage of those who resisted the events of the Holocaust, and being selected as finalists in this contest is an immense honor,” he said. ­­­­